Not a big deal really. I did my '01 without too much fuss. However,
I recommend that you go ahead and get enough replacement fasteners
to replace the ones that are on there since the originals will be buggered
up when you take them out. Plastic press in style is all they are.
1500 or 2500/3500? It makes a difference, as the 1500's changed body styles
For the 2500/3500, do the following:
1. Roll window down
2. Remove window crank, if equipped (hope not - they can be a bit of a
3. Remove screw attaching trim panel to outside mirror frame (above side
mirror control, if you have it)
4. Remove screws attaching pull cup to door (the thing you grab to close
the door from the inside)
5. Using a trim panel removal tool (or a stout putty knife), disengage the
clips around perimeter of panel
6. While holding bottom of panel away from door, lift up and in
7. Disconnect any electrical connections
Any little plastic christmas tree fasteners that get damaged during removal
will need to be replaced. Most auto parts stores have these - they're
If you have a 1500, it's a little different:
1. Remove window crank, if equipped (still a pain)
2. Remove the interior handle by removing the screw on the underside of the
3. Remove the two screws at the mirror flag and near the inside handle
4. Lift panel straight up to disengage hooks - do NOT try prying the panel
away from the door until you release the hooks.
5. Remove the electrical connectors
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.