Front Driveshaft U-Joint

Friends,
First off please forgive me if I get some of the terms wrong!
I have a 1996, PU, 360, 1500, SLT, 4X4. As I was laying under the
front of the truck, hiding from the family, I was looking at the front driveshaft U-joint. Attached to the forward yoke, the end that goes into the front differential, there seems to be a ring above and below on the cross with a thin piece of metal, about the thickness of a bobby pin, running between the rings. It appears to have rusted away from one of the rings and is just 'dangling' from and behind the top of the cross (the way the U-joint is sitting now).
If you have a Haynes Manual (1994- 2001) you can see the little piece of metal (barely) on page 8-9 in Illustration # 10.14a at the bottom of the yoke. On my truck, using the photo as a reference, the very bottom appears just to have rusted away and is hanging.
I guess my questions are: What is this? and Can I use the four wheel drive as it is? Thanks all!
Steve
Don`t worry about it, its an assembly aid. not necessary

Just a little retainer that holds the caps in place during initial assembly. About as useful as those little retaining clips that hold the rotors on - in other words, useless. You can safely ignore that piece.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I've never seen any clips that hold the rotors on. I've seen the orange wheel stud clips holding my brake drums on. Are they the same thing? -- Ken

Yep
Thanks to Richard and Tom for the help, again!
Steve