Front end alignment

My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD tends to drift to the right. Even after having it aligned, same problem. I know that if I raise the wheel off the ground and can move it back and
forth holding top and bottom, the ball joints are bad. What about side to side motion? What should I look for: pittman arm, tie rod, or what??? Thanks in advance.

Could be a lot of things. For starters swap front tires side to side and see if it stays the same. (check tire pressure too) If it does check for a loose wheel bearing and a draging disc brake. Last just because it was aligned does not mean it is right. Alignemnt specs are kinda a guidleine of sorts because different car can have different needs to be tweaked too (cars are not built on rigid mil spec or air craft standards) It would help a lot if you could post your alignemnt specs as they are currently set to se what problem might be (I use to do alignments in another life and time long, long ago) There was a time when alignment techs knew how to tweak cars alignment buut today they just put it on computerized rack and set it to "spec" and call it a day. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

what makes you qualified to examine alignment specs??? you still haven't found that knock sensor on the 488 (8.0L) that you claim is there....heck at this point ill take one off of a 5.2L (318 cid).
here ill help you out a bit.......THERE IS NO KNOCK SENSOR ON A LA ENGINE.
now as for the OP.
your saying that if you have your hands on the front and rear of the tire you can shake the tire as if it was turning the truck, right?? I would check the tie rods, drag link, and pitman. also I hate to admit it but the tire thing that snoman could be a clue try swapping the fronts if you don't find anything loose in the front end. the rest of his rant about the specs of the car....well I wont comment on that.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

I used to do them 2wd and 4wd and I know them and still know how to read and do the numbers unlike you. Al my 4x4 have tracked great and none of them were set to factory specs to do it either nor will you find funny worn front tires on them either. You can let me help this guy or be the arse you are the choice is yours. Some kids never grow up. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

And some kids never had the sense to shut up. How do we know that the info you give the op is correct? Given that 99% of the BS you post is wrong and/or dangerous.

no I take issue with people who wont admit when they are wrong and continue to give the same extremely wrong advice over and over. you don't have a clue as to what I know...not one clue.
for your information I AM ASE CERTIFIED I worked as a mechanic for 10 years before leaving the dealership for something with better benefits for my family. 4 of that ten was under an alignment rack.
ill give you another chance, I mean shoot no problem since I'm an ass and your always right.....
where is that knock sensor???
--
----------------------------
-Chris

LOL bs detector???
--
-Chris

Top posted for sno idiot!

I think you mean check air pressure cold first.
When you go to check the tire pressure feel the hub/wheel to see if one is hotter than the other(if you have just driven the truck). If so check for hanging caliper or jammed pad. Failing that check for bent rim. Jack it up and check the front end, ball joints, side to side for wheel bearing and steering linkage, tie rods pitman arm et al.

I have similar problems as you, with my truck. I would recommend that you look into the pitman/idler arms as that is what is bad on mine, causing the side to side movement you describe. If they are bad you might not be able to tell if the tie rods are bad also until you take care of this problem.
Topcop wrote:

Try switching your front tires, left to right, right to left, before you spend any more money.
JAM