Fuel Filter Cover

Is there a certain torque spec in which to tighten the plastic cap on a fuel filter housing ? On my 2000 CTD, the cap is tight --snug plus 1/4 turn-- and when it is warm outside there is no problem but at night
when it drops to the mid 20's I get some leaking around the top of the cap. This weekend I plan to replace the filter and O ring and want to get it tight enough but not too tight to damage the cap, housing, filter, or O ring. Any help would be appreciated.
dirtclod wrote:

The 2001 manual says 25 lbs/ft, but I'm not sure it's the same housing the 2000 uses. What does the owner's manual say?
See:
http://i12.tinypic.com/29esjtw.jpg
--
Ken

On my 00 CTD I use a shorty ratchet which limits the amount of torque to about 25 ftlbs or so, have never had a leak yet in 7 years.I oil the "O" ring and I also put a thin coat of anti sieze on the threads.

Since the O-ring does the sealing work, I simply tighten it down until the cap is touching the top of the housing, then give it about 1/8 of a turn. Never had a leak.