fuel improvement

what can i do to my 1997 dodge ram to improve gas mileage?

Reply to
big_griz

Drive like their is an egg under your foot & don't use the air. Check tires & use the max air pressure

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Sell it and buy an economy car. In all honesty, the vehicle is a pig and there isn't much you can do to make it any better besides just taking it easy on the throttle and with the size and weight of the vehicle, doing that is not always possible. I own and use a second vehicle to improve my fuel mileage.

Reply to
TBone

what is your mileage now? my 97 5.9 half ton 4x4 is averageing 16.8 combined hiway and city. i know its in need of a tune up.

Reply to
avatnar

If this is true, this is a rare exception not the rule because 5.9's have never been known to be thrifty

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Check the basics. Clean air filter, good spark plugs. You might want to look at aftermaket exhaust. I got a flowmaster dual exhaust system on my 92' Ram and saw an improvement of about 2 miles per gallon better and more power. I get around 16 pulling a trailer here in the mountains and 18 unloaded with the 5.2L

Brian

Reply to
brian

We have a 5.9 '98 RAM 1500 short bed and get consistently 18-20 mpg highway. this with 110K mostly in the foot hills and some driving in the mountains of east TN.

Can't say about town mileage as 'town' is at least 50 miles in any direction.

Reply to
NotMe

I dont see how this is possible. Is yours a 2 wheel drive? My 4x4 had a sticker of 12mpg hwy and gets 11mpg.

Reply to
RM v2.0

Do you live in California? I do and got about 13-15 mpg in my '99 Ram 4x4,

5.9L, but while in Arizona, I got as high as 25 mpg while doing about 50 mph with very little city driving. I now have a heavy camper and get about 11 mpg. The additives that are supposed to reduce air pollution do in fact reduce air pollution per gallon of gas burned, but you need more gas to travel the same distance resulting in (my guess) a net increase in air pollution.
Reply to
Ed H.

there are some circumstances here. i work about 30 miles out of town so a lot of hiway. and yeah, the eggshell thing works for me. i have one eye on the tack all the time. i rarely break two grand. i use my cruise a lot and most of the time (traffic permitting), i'm five or so under the speed limit. i seem to get the best mileage at 55 on the hiway. i get a little better mileage if i stay away from ethanol but i take what ever is cheap. where i get my gas has a small effect also. i have had more than one tank in the 17's. 17.56 is my best ever.

Reply to
avatnar