Fuel Line Disconnect

I've got a '97 Dak w/a V6. Exactly how am I supposed to use the tool to disconnect the fuel supply line to the fuel rail?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

That depends as Dodge in their infinite wisdom has several types of fittings that it uses. Does your fuel rail have a test port?

Reply to
TBone

The tool wraps around the fuel line, and slides into the quick-disconnect connector. Push the fuel line towards the rail, while pushing the tool into the fitting, then pull both the tool and the supply line away from the fuel rail.

Before doing this, relieve the fuel pressure either by draining it from the test port, or by pulling the fuel pump relay, and running the engine until it dies.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yes.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Then yours is probably like the one that Tom mentioned. If there is a clip that goes over it that is tethered to the fuel rail, then pry the clip off with a screw driver and slide it back, take your tool and press it into the fitting from the back and pull the fuel line out. The other type looks kinda like a square box with some legs sticking out of the bottom. With that one, squeeze the legs together and push them up into the fitting. You will see a piece pop up from the top. Get a pair of pliers and give it a pull but don't be a he-man, it doesn't come out of the fitting. When it is at its full height, pull the fuel line out of the fitting. Make sure that you depressurize the line before removing it from either fitting or you will get sprayed with fuel.

Reply to
TBone

Thanks, TBone. I just sprayed some Kroil on the fitting and hope to get to it later this week.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I really don't think that using Kroil should be necessary but make sure the fitting is clean before attempting to seperate it. Also make sure that Kroil will not harm the rubber seals inside of the fitting as they are not replacable. If the line is still under pressure it will be much harder to seperate the fitting along with getting the fuel bath so be sure that the pressure is relieved before attempting it. Good luck.

Reply to
TBone

It hasn't run since last summer and I did release the pressure at the test port. I had a Dodge tech email me that some pen oil would help loosen it up. Sure hope it doesn't hurt the seals, but if it does I'll just have to deal with it. I have to put a new engine in and a new line would just be another thing to add to the cost!

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart