Fuel PSI or Rail Pressure gauge

I am contemplating having a recommended mechanic put gauges in my truck (2004 Ram 2500, CTD (305/555), 4x4).
I mentioned to him that I wanted 1) Fuel Pressure, 2) Tranny Temp and
3) Pryometer.
He mentioned that a Rail Pressure gauge would be a better choice than a fuel pressure gauge since the lift pump issue was resolved after 2002.
After the semi-heated discussion between Nate and Max, I am left wondering exactly what set of "facts" to believe.
So, I'll throw it out there for the pros in a.a.d.t. to opine about.
Should I go with a fuel psi gauge or a rail pressure gauge?
Craig C.
--
Facts [fakts] -noun: The pesky things that get in the way of religious
doctrine.

Craig:
Fuel pressure is not an issue with your truck unless it is bombed. I would go with a turbo boost gauge in lieu of fuel pressure. I have those three gauges on my Ram. I installed 'em in an "A" pillar mount.
Mike

Mike when did they move the pump to the tank? I'd be watching the fuel pressure before it gets to the rail . I've only seen or heard of a couple of problems with the in tank pump also haven't heard of many problems now with the earlier lift pumps now that they've been improved.
Roy

'05 is the year I recall it moving.

Thanks, wasn't sure if mine was the first year or not.

Roy

Damned rabbit can't keep his mouth shut.... that was 'posta be a secret...
;^)
Mike

Mike Simmons wrote:

Just out of curiosity ... why would one want to monitor boost?
Craig C.
--
Facts [fakts] -noun: The pesky things that get in the way of religious
doctrine.

Let's take a step back... what's the reason for gauges? Are you modifying the truck, keeping it stock but planning on towing heavy, or just want to know what's going on under the hood?
Tom Lawrence wrote:

I plan to keep everything stock.
I do pull lake toys, although what I currently pull is not heavy (< 5000 lbs). A travel trailer is in the future, but I have no idea what I want or how much it will weigh.
Really, my reason in wanting the gauges is simply to monitor "things" before they become huge issues. i.e. the fuel pressure discussion of recent and past made me believe that I needed to monitor it so that I can head off any major headaches (replacement of the injector pump). Did I misunderstand? My truck does *not* have the lift pump issues?
Tranny temp and pyro are really for towing, I know. Those will be used more and more as time goes on.
I guess I assumed, perhaps ignorantly, that a fuel pressure gauge is necessary.
At this point, assuming my truck does not have lift pump problems, I'm really just looking to "fill" the third gauge hole. 1) Tranny Temp, 2) Pyro and 3) ??.
Craig C.
--
Facts [fakts] -noun: The pesky things that get in the way of religious
doctrine.

Plans go by the wayside quickly.

Travel trailers can get heavy.

No you didn't. But the failures of lift pumps on you truck are pretty much a non issue. But, a fuel gauge is one way to tell if the pump is going out or if your filter is dirty.

It is nice to have.

Imho I'd go with the fuel pressure and a boost gauge if you can. If not the fuel pressure.
Roy

Bump.
Tom, or anyone else ... Rail pressure gives me more useful/practical information for a stock setup? Or ... ?
Again, just looking to fill the 3rd gauge hole with the most practical gauge ...
Mike mentioned a turbo boost gauge, but I can't think of why that is something that should be watched ... like a pyro and tranny temp.
Craig C.

Makes sense. Thanks Mike. All this time I thought a boost gauge was simply so one could watch the needle go back and forth ... :-)
Craig C.

I always thought it was like the game at the carnival with the hammer smashing the lever that sends the weight up and hits the bell... try and get the needle as high as it will go. I'm up to 60 :)

Roy

Well, yeah... that too...
;^)
Mike

You know, after thinking about it, you bring up a good point. I have noticed over the past year a strange noise that comes from what I *think* is my turbo. It use to only do it when it was cold outside, but now it does it all of the time.
When I accelerate faster than usual, RPM's at say 2500+, the turbo stops whining and starts whistling. When I say whistle ... I mean it sounds like a human whistling. Other than the possibility of a happy person stuck under my hood, could I have a pin hole somewhere that cuases this? Or ... is this simply a "normal" sound?
Craig C.

Roy

Something that would be a little easier to detect if he had a boost gauge! :^)