gas gauge problems, Ram 1500

Aside from how fast it drops...
My gas gauge, after I fill the 25 gallon tank, stays above F for about 120 miles. Then in the next 280 miles the gauge drops like a lead
balloon. Why the heck can't Dodge make a reliable gauge?
Anyway, a week ago the gas gauge was on 1/8 of a tank. I ran out of gas two miles later.
What the???
Is this normal or is my gauge messed up?
The first time I ran out of gas with this truck it was really on E.
Ram 1500, 4X4 318.
Thanks Steve

It's a 1999.
Well, I know the sending units have been faulty on a lot of trucks. But in my particular case, the actual float came off the float arm and read empty all the time....after it exhibited the problems you described. Best I could deduce was the float was actually holding the arm up higher than the actually fuel level was. Took it out, reattached it and it operated normally for a while. I'm sure I'll have to replace it eventually though. Yours may be in the same boat as mine. Either way, you'll have to remove it to find out.
--
Laszlo Almasi