gas pump leak?

I checked out the engine oil in the 360 that came with the 72 W100 (with snow plow and harness) and although the oil had no grit, it did smell of gasoline. The engine is not seized. Other than giving it an oil change before doing anything else, can I assume it could be a gas pump leak, and I ought to change that too before trying to turn it over, or, could I just try to start it after the oil change, and see if it runs at all, check the oil again for gasoline after running it for a few minutes? (How much damage a short term test might do if it leaks gasoline again)

-- or, am I likely to do no damage because the engine is already screwed?

Oh, also, I am pretty sure the 360 and 400 have a compatible tranny -- the 720? In which case I could swap in this tranny to the 400 -- both are automatic 4x4's? The tranny oil looks good -- esp. since this truck has sat for at least a few years.

would like to try to get the 360 moving (even with portable gas container method) to see if tranny will move from 1st to 2nd smoothly around the yard). If 360 is good, tranny on 400 might eventually be destined for it after rebuild.

Thanks, rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

There are a couple ways for gas and oil to mix; leaky fuel pump, leaky / flooding carb. Replace the pump and the oil before starting. Gas is a lousy engine lubricant.

Sorry, Rach, but it's a no-go. The 360 and then 400 have different bellhousing bolt patterns, and, iirc, different engine balancing ( 360 = external balanced, 400 = internal balanced) so the torque coinverter would need to be changed.

To help identify the differences, the 273-360 engines have the distributor in the back ( LA blocks) and the 400 has it up front (B / RB blocks)

I wish they would swap for you because I know you need to stretch the dollars, but I'm afraid they won't. What's wrong with the 400?

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

ok will do

would this be possible?

absolutely nothing -- but before Richard died he told me the transmission needs about $300 in parts -- plus labour

thanks for your help, rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

It's cheaper , as well as better, in this case, to be safe than sorry.

The bolt patterns are too far different in bolt locations as well as physical diameter. The only options that would allow the swapwould add from a few hundred dollars to possibly a thousand dollars to the cost.

Did he say what it was doing? or not doing? We've several good trans guys here in the group and it could be simple. All the differences between small block and big block transmissions are in the way the case is made. Internal parts will swap as long as both are 727 transmissions and you swap all the parts ( there are minor differences from year to year).

You're always welcome, my friend.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

Rach

My 72 318 did this once. Just changed the pump, checked the oil and onward. I would imagine he gasoline just evaporates but to be safe chenge the oil also.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

thanks Bob, will do -- oil is cheap and easy to change, but these motors are not -- it's the fuel pump i was more hoping to avoid until the test was done -- need a flexible extension i think -- the pump was a total pita to change in the 225 (1/32 turns at a time for the underside bolts)

maybe i'll look into hooking up the electric fuel pump until the engine has been tested

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

alas, no, he didn't

We've several good trans guys

I could try to ask his uncle -- he knows. -- but then again the rich little shit won't return my son's messages (was 10 then) because he owes him an amp (great big thing sitting in his basement for years) -- also wouldn't let me know when the family meeting was chez lui, exactly a year today, to decide what they'd do with Richard's body (Richard talked about research donation for diabetics) -- and positively would not speak to me after finding out the house is in my son's name and he couldn't get the family to force me to sell and get his grubby hands on some of their half...

but yes, it is probably worth my satisfaction to drive up there with my son and haunt him

and it could be simple.

and if it's simple, you know I am going to want to get my grubby little hands in there

All the differences between small

oh cool! i have some money right now. i'll go to the local trans shop and try to get an ATSG manual and i've already bookmarked an HP how-to book and a TCI manual as Max suggested, and will order the Berkley Trade's 727 book avail. through chapters, as John suggested

rach

p.s. i found another transmission in the yard (large of course), under a pile of snow beside the plywood pile, but properly protected. it reads "1881" on the casing in two inch size numbers -- haven't turned it over yet because I need to get a good size bucket for the oil -- any idea what it is?

thank you. i really appreciate that

Reply to
Rachel Easson

darn. So many 727/904 problems can be repaired with a fluid / filter change and band adjustments.

One of these days ya gotta send me a pic of you and Claude so I can put faces to all this "can-do" attitude running amuck in the Canadian woods.

Go for it, lady!!!

That number is just a casting number, probably. Look at the shape of the pan. if the pan has a semi-circular protrusion where the dipstick enters the case, then you have a 727, if not, it's probably a 904. You need to verify the spline counts and diameters on torque converters / input shafts before swapping parts. There were a couple years where those were changed just enough to cause problems.

Aw, shuckins, ma'am, tweren't nuttin. ( picture of a small embarrassed boy kicking a pebble)

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

he did say something about $300 in parts

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson