Gas to Diesel changeover....

I remember someone mentioning doing this swap a little while back and want to setup some collaboration to see what all needs to be done to accomplish this. Mine is an '01 2500 QC 4x4 with 5 speed manual.

On searching the inet I've found that it has been done before but am curious as to what I'll need to start lining up. I'm at

162k miles and still have some life left in my powerplant but have been wishing I had a Cummins for some time now. So, I'm looking for some input.
Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

As has been said many times, sell the one you have and buy another one that already has the diesel in it. The amount of work to do this simply isn't worth the trouble and will probably cost you much more in the long run than simply buying another truck. The parts list alone is huge, engine, bell housing, possibly a new trans as well, computer, front springs, possibly some fabrication to the front frame and motor mounts, fuel filler neck, modifications to or replacement of fuel tank, IIRC - a fuel return line, exhaust system, air intake system, second battery and all that goes with that, under hood wiring harness, and this is just what comes to mind without much thought. I'm sure that there is much more that I'm not even thinking about. Then after all the joy of making those mods and getting them to work correctly you will have to re-register the vehicle as a modified vehicle due to emissions requirements here in NC and I'm sure they will give you an easy time with that. Do what you feel that you must but it really isn't worth it.

Reply to
TBone

Laz, if you are looking for a project then go for it. Projects are fun. This will be a very expensive and time consuming one though. Imo you'd be better served doing your engine over, perhaps with a different heads, cam and stuff.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Computer, cluster are two more...

Reply to
PeterD

Nah...that'd take out the "pleasure of accomplishing something" aspect. It'd be something to work at and enjoy. Several of the items would be aftermarket anyway so those prices would be a moot point. I think it'd be quite enjoyable. So hush....don't try to rain on my parade.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I've thought about that as well. Just trying to put both scenarios out for me to explore.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

i am one for taking on almost any project no matter how goofy but i can't imagine how much work this would be. i did have a friend that shoehorned a cummins into a dakota. it cost him over 12,000 dollars just in parts and took him almost a year to complete the project.

as to 162k on your current truck. i have a 97 with a 360 and auto tranny that currently has 280k on it and seems to have plenty of life. buy yourself a good used diesel and don't molest the truck you currently own. i am guessing the the resale value on a truck that had that much stuff changed would be way below what a factory diesel would be. michael

Reply to
nunya

LOL, you will soon find that many months into the project (and it will easily take much longer) that it's not always all that much fun. If you want a project, then find a somewhat run down Ram Diesel and restore it. At least then you would be working on the correct platform where the many thousands that you would have spent replacing perfectly good parts to make the conversion can be used for needed repairs, restoration, and making improvements with the added bonus of not disabling your current truck. At the end, if the diesel looks and runs well, you can sell your current Ram if you wish to put a few bucks back into your pocket and if the project overwelms you, you can sell it and still have a running truck.

Reply to
TBone

Why does everyone think this is so difficult? The truck CAME with this engine as an option. That's a far cry from a Dakota conversion.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yea, and many 2WD trucks also come as 4WD but that is not an easy conversion either. You own both trucks Tom, how many parts will have to be changed to go from a V8 gas to a I6 diesel and is it really worth the time, trouble, or expense? Then remember that not everyone has your shop, tools, or experience working on these trucks.

Reply to
TBone

Reminds me of the argument against going fishing ... answer was yes.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Just about everything that needs to be changed is a "bolt in". It is a project, they aren't supposed to be down overnight. Whether or not it is worth the trouble, time, expense is up to the person doing it. Perhaps Laz has a line on a donor.

Reply to
Roy

Or the parts discount.. *eg*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Like when I was doing home loans, and someone would ask "Are rates going up or down?" Best answer was "yes and no, but not right away"

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Sorry, should read "done overnight"

Roy

LOL, even many "bolt on" parts are not so easy to change and can be rather expensive, especially when many of them are fully functional and are only being replaced due to the conversion. The computer alone is going to probably give him hell.

Yes, but this vehicle seems to be one that he uses and needs so turning it into a long term project doesn't make much sense.

And people tend to fool themselves or simply have bad ideas. In the case of the Dakota conversion, these trucks were never made so if you really want one, the only choice is to build it yourself or have it built. As for a diesel Ram 2500, these trucks are readily available and can be bought for far less than it would cost him to convert his so what exactly is the benefit of reinventing the wheel?

If so then why did he ask what parts would be needed? He also mentioned to me that most of the parts would be aftermarket so what would be the point of a donor? Either way, he can do whatever he want's but IMHO, there are much better and cost effective ways of doing it.

Reply to
TBone

Imo and only my opinon, it is the fun of doing it, or perhaps the feeling of accomplishment. Have you ever stuffed a engine from one make into the body of another? Or perhaps built a race car or off road toy? If not, you may not get the whole idea.

A close friend of mine is trying to cram a big block chevy into a 50 Studebaker with a I think, a mustang front clip. Does it make any sense? Not to many, but he's having a ball with it. That's what it is all about.

Reply to
Roy

Well, thank goodness Laz has you to look out for him and his best interests - because, ya know, he really isn't capable of deciding for himself what is or isn't within his capabilities and budget.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I do understand that and I do get the whole idea but you seem to be missing the point. The point is that the two vehicle conversions that you mentioned above create a new vehicle type that doesn't normally exist while he would really not be accomplishing anything because the vehicle that he want's to create already exists, are factory built, in great numbers, and for far less money than he would need to spend to convert his. His time and money would be much better spent finding a diesel Ram 2500 and making it like or better than new. Then he would still get that same feeling of accomplishment, not lay up or possibly destroy a primary form of transportation, and wind up with something that would be difficult to register, inspect, or even sell later down the road.

But here he is trying to create something that normally doesn't exist. It's not like he can go look in the newspaper and find a half dozen or more of them running and ready to go. When he is done, he will have a one of a kind vehicle and I doubt that this Studebaker is his daily driver which is exactly my point. It's just like converting a 2WD into a 4WD street vehicle. Unless the vehicle that you want to convert never existed or is old enough were finding a 4WD version is difficult, it simply isn't worth doing it when you can simply go and buy one.

Reply to
TBone

Oh yea, because nobody ever didn't think something completely thru, gotten in over their head, or underestimated the work or cost involved in a major project.

Reply to
TBone