Gas to Diesel changeover....

Page 3 of 7
LOL...really Tom...what's up with that? You actually beat me to the punch on responding.
Lets narrow things down a little bit.....assume this truck
will not be my primary mode of transportaion when/if the project does take place. Lets also assume funds will not be an issue. Not saying I'm willing to spend a fortune on it...just don't think it's going to cost the fortune a few of you think it is going to.
Laszlo Almasi

Well, it's official.... it's just too complicated a job... will cost too much... take too much time... you don't know what you're in for... you're over your head... this will be a disaster... etc. etc.
Good luck with it :)
Well dude, it appears that you are only going to hear what you want to hear so good luck with it and keep us updated when you begin the project.

"Carolina Watercraft Works" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

LOL, yea, except for the bullshit time estimates. The problem is that not everyone else has a heated and air conditioned 5 bay shop with multiple lifts and tools and equipment that would probably rival some small dealerships all to themselves. It gets much easier when you have the space and equipment to perform this level of work.

If a person doesn't have the one thing you left and that is the KNOW HOW then you nayser's are correct.
A couple of floor jacks and some air tools and it is a cake walk if you know wtf your doing. A lift is a plus I agree, but it is more than doable on jack stands.

What are you talking about? The questions that he asked in his initial post shows that he never attempted anything like this before.

Really??? Please explain exactly what air tools are required alone to lift the 360 out and drop the Cummins in. If you are depending on the floor jacks to do this you must have some really impressive ones with one hell of a lift. The fact that you are calling it a cake walk shows that you really don't have a clue. Can it be done...sure it can. Could Las do it, I don't know and neither do you but since he made those mods to his jet ski, I would say that he does know how to use his tools and probably could make the conversion but it still wouldn't be a cake walk for him or anyone else. The point is as it always was, while it can be done, why would anyone want to? After all is said and done, he won't have anything that he couldn't just go out and buy and probably buy it for much less money and no work on his part but hey....if he has a whole lot of money and time to waste, I wish him the best..

Tom your talking like a idiot. Or your lack of hands on is showing.
If you are depending on the floor

You are probably the only person who read this and took that air tools meant pull the engine. Air tools speed up the work big time. Most here would figure one would use the air tools for r&r and a cherry picker for the pull. I forgot that you might not pick up on that. I apologize.
>The fact that you are calling it a cake walk shows that you really

That's the difference between you and me. I know wtf I'm doing, you I guess don't so it wouldn't be a cake walk for you..

Damn Tom you put the donor and take things apart. You then pull the recipent in and strip and put it back together. It is nuts and bolts.
>The

Because he can!!

But, it's his money and a project can be enjoyable.

As do I

Really??? Who is the one who said that it would be a cake walk with a few air tools and some floor jacks? I don't call weeks or more of hard work (provided nothing goes wrong) a cake walk. Perhaps you have a different definition.

But that's not what you said. You make it sound like if you have a few air tools, that this conversion would be quick and easy and that simply is not true. I know what you meant

And exactly how many of these swaps have you done? While is probably could be done by many in this group, it wouldn't be a cake walk for any of them.

Now you are assuming that the donor will have all of the parts, all will be usable, and that everything simply unbolts and bolts right back up. Even if all that were true (and it usually isn't), it is a hell of a lot of work, time, and money. Sorry, but that is not the definition of a cake walk.

That is just about the dumbest reply so far and you talk about me talking like an idiot.

Unless it gets too long and or too expensive for what the end result will be. Then it will just become a waste of time and money and in many cases, uncompleted. All I'm saying is that it is going to be far more expensive and time consuming then he thinks and to not just jump into it with his head up his ass because the only one who will get burned for it is himself. You can go on being the rah - rah committee but you are really doing nobody any favors.

Mopar specifies an R&R on a Cummins as taking 40 hours. A lift would be a plus, but jackstands and a floor jack, and an engine crane would more than do the job.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own
Max Dodge wrote:

40 hours? Whats so much more complex than a gasser that would take so long? Not saying it doesn't, just wondering what the issue is that takes so long.

I'm betting thats the book time, and the tech does it in less. Regardless, the issue is that to lift the engine out of the truck, the entire front end has to come off, excepting the fenders. By this I mean the radiator, intercooler, etc, as well as the core support brace that crosses front and center on the engine bay.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own

disconnect and swap all of it in one shot. We went the long way.
A friends 2006 or 7 Ford P/S blew a couple of head gaskets @ 47K. To r&r the heads it was pull the engine or move the cab.
Roy

Ya have to take the radiator/condensor/intercooler out and remove the upper support to get the room to move the engine.
Denny

I was wondering where it was a swap if the whole radiator support with all the stuff mounted but disconnected could be removed in one piece, rather than each cooler and stuff by itself. by itself.
Nice to read that you recieved some new clothes from Santa. I'm sure he was able to find some large enough to stuff yer fat ass into.<VBG>
Hows mom doing?
Roy

Nope. it's a piece by piece type deal...

In the spirit of Christmas holidays........ GFY!!! <BG>

Doing good. She stayed a one of the grandkids house last night, going to my brothers house for lunch and my place for supper. She's gonna be one tired old woman by the time she gets home tonight.
I can't hardly wait to get all this decoration stuff put away. My garage is a fricken disaster area. Hell, I can't even see my reloading desk..
Denny

Gee a little truth and ya lash out. <G>

Good that she's out and about.

Yup, this is one holiday that really turns the house upside down. But damn it's fun!!
Roy

<snip>

so move the reloading stuff inside the house proper. a mans gotta have priorities. at my house we can junk up any area except the reloading bench. poor housekeeping habits in this area can lead to problems. michael

for the time being. While the grandcritter is around, my gun stuff is better off in "my" garage. Not to worry, it's heated... <VBG>
Denny
<snip>

mine actually lives in the basement which is temperature controlled also. i have a keyed entry door lock on the basement door just in case we have company with kids. i can lock everyone out of the basement for safety. michael
p.s. here is my bench... www.coolclimbing.com/handloading1.htm

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing