Gas to Diesel changeover....

Mopar specifies an R&R on a Cummins as taking 40 hours. A lift would be a plus, but jackstands and a floor jack, and an engine crane would more than do the job.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Yup, I do. Laz and a few of his friends should have this up in running in a few good week ends. If they have the know how.

A few weekends with friends, Tom.

A Cummins conversion? None. A Cummins r&r 1, A friend melted a piston. Took us 3 days. no lift.

See Tom, you truly don't get it. For the same reason some change the intake and cam in their trucks, why some put on a bottle, why some use a aftermarket trans, why some change the rear gears. For the same reason I'm hunting down a weber carb and headers for the 81 CJ I'm playing with. Because I want to and because I can!! I guess I'll just stay dumb and happy.

Key word, unless.

.Then it will just become a waste of time and money and in many cases,

Based on your experience I'm sure.

Htf do you know what he thinks?? You don't.

More of your experience?

Not trying to do anybody any favors Tom, just pointing out that it is doable if one knows what they are doing.

Reply to
Roy

40 hours? Whats so much more complex than a gasser that would take so long? Not saying it doesn't, just wondering what the issue is that takes so long.
Reply to
miles

Yea Max, that's an R&R, big deal. If that's what he was doing I would also be on the rah - rah committee. We are not talking about that here. What we are talking about swapping a 360 for a Cummins which is a completely different animal.

Reply to
TBone

HHmm....More than enough tools to accomplish the task. Fllor stands, floor jacks, both metric and SAE, my hoist is a 3000 pound forklift. Time...I have plenty of. Found one donor for $2500...but looking for one that is newer. I have the knowledge, the desire and the ability to make it happen. Just trying to see if anyone had some useable input rather than "nah....you'd be better off yadda yadda blah blah...." TBone...please STFU already with your negative input. It appears you don't receive any satisfaction from doing something someone else hasn't really done. People with little more negative to say are annoying as heck. I'm sure you wouldn't oblidge my request...but I'll give it a shot. TBone...would you please stay out of this thread?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Not sure where you got your time from but alldatapro calls for a retail time for r&r of 14.8 hrs including transfer of parts. It doesn't give the warrenty time but you can bet your sweet ass it's less than half of that.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Edit to my last post. I didn't add on the other stuff...

Complete Assembly With Transfer Of Parts B 0.0 14.8 Notes Includes: Transfer All Fuel And Electrical Units. Does Not Include Transfer Of Optional Equipment.

NOTE With Skid Plate, Add B 0.0 0.5 Notes With Auto Trans, Add B 0.0 1.4 Notes With PS, Add B 0.0 0.4 Notes With Manual Trans, Add B 0.0 2.4 Notes With AC, Add B 0.0 0.6 Notes

It still don't come close to 40 hours tho. I wish I could go by your books at work..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I'm sorry but short of a full rebuild i find it hard to believe book time to Remove & Replace a engine assembly to be 40 hours. somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 i might buy.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

LMAO i thought i was the only tech to ever notice that one....

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

If we had his book to go by at 5 star, i'd still be there doing engine work!

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

I'm betting thats the book time, and the tech does it in less. Regardless, the issue is that to lift the engine out of the truck, the entire front end has to come off, excepting the fenders. By this I mean the radiator, intercooler, etc, as well as the core support brace that crosses front and center on the engine bay.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Not really. The only thing you'd be doing beyond an engine R&R is swapping out the wiring harness in order to accomodate the Cummins. True, there are some other details that would make the job complete, such as coil springs and swapping in a dash that says "diesel fuel only".

What it comes down to tbone, is the skill level of the individuals doing the job. From what you've said in just the past half day or so, it leads me to believe that because you don't have the skill (and yeah, I know you dont, so lets not go there) you feel the job is impossible. Its not impossible. The only thing I'd say about it is, could a Cummins truck be had cheaper than the engine and supporting cast? Maybe, maybe not.

Reply to
Max Dodge

If your posts in this thread are examples of how you don't argue then I wonder how you post when you do argue (*grin*). But seriously, I wish you and your relations a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous new year.

Reply to
Ed H.

What makes you think that this is a long time? 40 man hours is not all that long.

Reply to
TBone

And the same to you and yours.

Reply to
TBone

Once again Max. you more than prove that you really don't know WTF that you are talking about.

Despite your all to typical lame insults, I could probably run circles around you in most things Max. I never said that the job was impossible or even all that technically difficult. What I said was that it is a lot of work for what he will get out of it and he has made it clear that he wants to undertake this project so I wish him the best at it. Have a happy holiday Max.

Reply to
TBone

probably on of those 30/30 ones..

30 miles or 30 min..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I wonder if you could leave the coolers/ac and radiator mounted, just disconnect and swap all of it in one shot. We went the long way.

A friends 2006 or 7 Ford P/S blew a couple of head gaskets @ 47K. To r&r the heads it was pull the engine or move the cab.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Ya have to take the radiator/condensor/intercooler out and remove the upper support to get the room to move the engine.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I was wondering where it was a swap if the whole radiator support with all the stuff mounted but disconnected could be removed in one piece, rather than each cooler and stuff by itself. by itself.

Nice to read that you recieved some new clothes from Santa. I'm sure he was able to find some large enough to stuff yer fat ass into.

Hows mom doing?

Roy

Reply to
Roy