Gas to Diesel changeover....

Page 5 of 7

To be truthfull, it's not my favorite rifle to shoot. I like the smell/feel of a oiled wood stock. I use it in my three gun competitions and for that purpose it does very well. Light weight, easy handling, mag swaps are a breeze and no recoil to speak of. It gets the job done.
What I'd really like to use sometime is my Garand. Now that would be fun but I know my time would suck in that stage. Maybe if I could convince Kim that I really needed an M1A...... And pigs fly...
<VBG>
Denny

I agree there's nothing like the feel and smell of a wood stock, but the AR-15 / M/16 series were designed to be tougher than a war, and to be honest, put a lot of lead down range in a hurry but be reasonably accurate in the process.
Still, if I had to choose a easy to handle, light weight home defense weapon that could double for hunting medium sized game, I'd give it a try.
Budd

power.. It's downright embarrassing to hit someone with one and have him keep shooting back.. OTOH, the M-14a was a kick-ass weapon, if you could carry it and the ammo..lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
And not get "the THUMB"
Budd

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:05:23 -0700, "Budd Cochran"

Yeah.. like throwing it at them when it jammed... the bad ol' days of the first version..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Friends that returned from 'Nam told me about that and using the gun as a very effective club since the nylon stock was harder to break than a wooden stock.
Even well cared for and in clear weather shooting range conditions (and Denny, you need to listen here, my friend), that forward assist knob can be, literally, a life saver.
Budd

I got a Colt SP1. It ain't got no forward assist knob.... <G> One of these days I'll have to get a modern version.
You still got my old addy?? Shoot me an e-mail if you do...
Denny
No, to honest, with the way I was being regarded about my beliefs, I dropped many addresses and not just in this group.
It hurt, Denny, to be treated like that just for living according to my beliefs.
But, you're back in the book and I'll catch up with ya tomorrow, Ok?
Budd

Denny,
Tried your addy in the post but it failed.
Email me back on mine as it works and I'll get your good one.
Budd

never a real effort to get them all out. It was a sort of replace when it failed. If you were able to. The new ones were no problem though. The Bushmaster I have now is a fun to shoot thing. Put about 250 rounds through it real quick one day with no incidents, wanted to be sure. Trying to find a range down here that is outside and 300+ yards long to go play a bit.
Roy

They took our M-14's in 66 and gave us the first version of the plastic toy.. beta testing in the boonies, thank you, McNamara..
If you could get more that 2 or 3 rounds without a jam you were very lucky.. We had to carry cleaning rods to jam down the barrel to get the expended brass out of the chamber.. From what I heard, they re-worked the buffer and slowed down the rate of fire on the later ones and they worked ok until they tried then in Iran.. *g*
My kid says that they have another position on the selector switch now.. "burst".. I guess it fires 3 rounds every time you fire????
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
wrote:<snip>

were designed to have chrome lined chambers and a specific powder. between the acceptance of the weapon after initial trials and issue to the field the army bean counters determined they could save a lot of money by skipping the chrome lining on the chambers and putting the powder contract up for bids. thus the rifles hit the field with a dirtier burning powder than they were designed for and a chamber that was "sticky" due to the lack of chrome. this turned a reasonable weapon into a very fancy single shot. michael

Something about the next generation having "chrome buffer group" or something like that?
"Colt Peacemaker, the original point and click interface"
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yep, three round bursts because they discovered too many young people can't count 650 numbers a minute. ... But then, neither can I. Actually, it was found that the full auto ( Rock and Roll!) wastes ammo. DUH!
They've also made the barrel heavier to cut down on heat warpage due to high rates of fire and changed the twist to give the bullet more stability. It no longer turns sideways on contact with skin or tissue paper.
Budd
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:22:03 -0700, "Budd Cochran"

I remember being trained to fire 2 or 3 round bursts on the M-14A and M-60... That went all to hell when the shit started, though..
Stability is a GOOD thing.. damn tumbling 22 mag rounds... They used to call me up with the 60 when folks were behind bamboo.. 16's would deflect all over the place but that 7.63 round would penetrate just fine.. Of course, so would an AK round..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Of course it did, shooting on a range or even the infiltration course is a whole lot less scary that the sounds of lead bees zipping past your ears or nipping at your government issued battle tuxedo.
And even more scary is when you hear that sound while fishing your favorite stream or hunting rabbits and wearing blaze orange.

Bamboo is tuff stuff any way. All the silicones absorbed makes some able to be sharpened enough to cut rope.
I like firing the 60. The fun part was when the instructor at Fort Carson claimed you couldn't fire accurately from the hip ... then I took out five silhouettes at 100 meters from the "John Wayne" position.
Budd

What makes you think that this is a long time? 40 man hours is not all that long.

Yea Max, that's an R&R, big deal. If that's what he was doing I would also be on the rah - rah committee. We are not talking about that here. What we are talking about swapping a 360 for a Cummins which is a completely different animal.

"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

Not really. The only thing you'd be doing beyond an engine R&R is swapping out the wiring harness in order to accomodate the Cummins. True, there are some other details that would make the job complete, such as coil springs and swapping in a dash that says "diesel fuel only".
What it comes down to tbone, is the skill level of the individuals doing the job. From what you've said in just the past half day or so, it leads me to believe that because you don't have the skill (and yeah, I know you dont, so lets not go there) you feel the job is impossible. Its not impossible. The only thing I'd say about it is, could a Cummins truck be had cheaper than the engine and supporting cast? Maybe, maybe not.
--
Max

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, he is not entitled to his own

Once again Max. you more than prove that you really don't know WTF that you are talking about.

Despite your all to typical lame insults, I could probably run circles around you in most things Max. I never said that the job was impossible or even all that technically difficult. What I said was that it is a lot of work for what he will get out of it and he has made it clear that he wants to undertake this project so I wish him the best at it. Have a happy holiday Max.