gauge cluster not working-97 Dakota

Hi everyone. I'm new here and know little about vehicle repairs so bear with me.

A few days ago my aftermarket radio died so I pulled it out and cut the wires right next to the radio, untangled them and seperated the adapter clips. now I have no gauges working nor does the interior light work although the gauges light up when the headlights are turned on. I installed a factory radio thinking that would fix the problem and it didn't. The factory radio buttons light up with the head lights but it has no display. The fuses in the dash look alright as do the fuses under the hood. Any ideas? My mechanic is stumped too.

I should mention that a few years ago I hit a pothole and the gauges and lights quit working then as did the radio. My mechanic at the time got the gauges to work but the radio was shot and that's how I ended up with the aftermarket.

Reply to
tac4