gauge mounting?

has anyone used the steering column mounts from gauge works by auto meter? as found on Geno's Garage website?

im looking at adding some more gauges and looking for the best looking instalation possible.

i already have my EGT on the apillar using the mopar srt-10 pillar trim.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Yep. They work well, but do block view of the bottoms of the speedo and tach (tough to see the OD/Off, 4x4, odometer, and cruise indicators).

I also have the 3-gauge dash pod that mounts on top of the dash, which I also like. This doesn't block anything, and is easier to read than any of the other gauge positions.

I can give you a link to some pictures if you like, but once you've seen one, that's pretty much it.

I can tell you that the fit of both the steering column mount and the dash mount are very good. If you go with the dash mount, I'd recommend all electric gauges. This way, you can use a multi-pin connector and make your own wiring harness, which will let you remove the top dash panel with the gauges attached - this makes installation and service down the road very easy, rather than trying to deal with any tubing connectors.

If you need to use a mechanical gauge, then you should get the column mount.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I used that on a 2K and it was in they way too much and at time a pia to see. I took it off after a couple of weeks. Try the mount on the top of the dash.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I have enough gauges without adding more. I don't care what the manifold pressure is. If I had to add a gauge, just because I tow allot, it would be a transmission temperature gauge.

Reply to
MoParMaN

yes, tom i would aprishiate the link to the dash pod. sounds like some good and bad with the column mount witch the bad im seeing is what i suspected. i wondered how it would block the dash indicators and ease of reading gauges witch you and roy have confirmed my suspisions. my only question about the dash pod would be if they have a 2 gauge mount as i only need/want the 2 extra gauges (remember my truck is a 6 speed)

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

With a Cummins with a auto I'd think a fuel pressure is a must unless it is a newer model. The trans temp is a close second. It still amazes be how quickly they heat up when in reverse, the temp fly's up.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I've got an 05 dually. Besides, what are you gonna do if your pressure drops out on the road? I've got a card with a DC number on it to call if that happens.

At least with a temp guage on the transmission, you could pull over and wait for it to cool down before burning something up. It's kinda hard to fix a fuel pressure problem when your on the road.

Reply to
MoParMaN

If the lift pump fails the truck will still run. Some people don't notice any loss of power at all when the lift pump fails. When the lift pump fails it puts extra stress on the injection pump causing it to fail also. If you monitor the fuel pressure you can tell when the lift pump fails and correct the problem before it causes expensive injection pump failure.

Fuel pressure gauge: $75.00 Lift pump: $170.00 Injection pump: $1,075.00

Reply to
Nosey

Under warranty my cost will be Zero.

Reply to
MoParMaN

The cost maybe zero but the bs sucks. The lift pump goes we are on our ass until towed to the dealer and they order one and it gets to the dealer. The earlier ones you can pop a new lift pump on in a half hour and your on your way. I think even with the newer ones a fuel pressure gauge will give you a heads up if it starts to fail and you can still get to a dealer. Beats being left at the side of the road when it fails totally.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I believe with the 05's and up when they fail you are on your ass, unlike the earlier models where you have some time before th ip goes away.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

No, it's only a triple. C'mon - you can always use an extra gauge :)

I'll get you some pictures later on tonight. Currently, my dash pod is out of my truck (had a gauge go tilt on me - currently getting fixed by Autometer), so you'll be able to see how it mounts, how I did the wiring, etc.

I should be able to find some pictures of an installed pod, as well.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

My FP gauge tells me when it's time to change my fuel filter. My trans temp gauge tells me when to back off the go pedal, or downshift. Same with my EGT gauge. My TOT lets me know when it's cool enough to shut down. Boost gauge lets me know if a clamp loosened up, or to back off the throttle because I'm about to pop a head gasket. Oil pressure gauge lets me see what my pressure REALLY is - not some stupid idiot-light-turned-sweeper-gauge. And, ummm... oh yeah, my water temp gauge pretty much serves to fill a hole, and back up the stock ECT sensor :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

thanks tom

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Sorry I didn't get to this last night...

First, here's the wiring from the dash - I ran it up alongside one of the defroster ducts. The connector is an 8-position Molex connector, from Radio Shack :

Here's a close-up of the pod, sitting on top of the (removable) dash cover. As you could see in the previous pic, this dash cover piece is just held in with spring clips - very easy to pop out:

Here's a shot of the wiring inside the pod. You can see the matching Molex connector that connects to the dash wiring. The aluminum bar across the pod holds two captive nuts, which is how the pod mounts to the cover (note two matching holes in the dash cover for the screws). I drilled the big hole with a hole saw, for the connector/wiring to pass through. Once installed, the connector tucks up inside the empty space in the pod behind the gauges.

For reference, here's a picture from approximately driver's eye height of the column-mounted gauges. It's not quite as bad in reality as this picture makes it look, but I do have to move my head and peer around the gauges to see things like the odometer and lower indicator lights:

Tom Lawrence

thanks again tom. im gonna hang on to this one so ill have it for ref when im a little closer to actually buying the parts. ive got my eye on the BD tripple dog programmer and the rest of the gauges i want as my next 2 things to do to the truck. hopefully comming soon *big grin*

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Make sure before you commit to a programmer that you give the Smarty a look:

Marco's been doing ECM reprogramming for years now, and his CaTCHER ECM's for the older 24V engines have been highly regarded.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

They are quite the toy. A friend who has a 06 p/s uses one. I've driven it a lot and was really surprised at the difference it makes. The only thing is a question about dc being able to tell that you've been there and knocking a warranty claim. There is a bit of talk on the tdr about it but nothing conclusive.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Why not use a 2 or 3 pod A-Pillar mount? Looks great.

Reply to
miles

Probably for the same reason I didn't... a desire to keep the grab handle.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence