gauge mounting?

Page 1 of 2
has anyone used the steering column mounts from gauge works by auto meter? as found on Geno's Garage website?
im looking at adding some more gauges and looking for the best looking
instalation possible.
i already have my EGT on the apillar using the mopar srt-10 pillar trim.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Yep. They work well, but do block view of the bottoms of the speedo and tach (tough to see the OD/Off, 4x4, odometer, and cruise indicators).
I also have the 3-gauge dash pod that mounts on top of the dash, which I also like. This doesn't block anything, and is easier to read than any of the other gauge positions.
I can give you a link to some pictures if you like, but once you've seen one, that's pretty much it.
I can tell you that the fit of both the steering column mount and the dash mount are very good. If you go with the dash mount, I'd recommend all electric gauges. This way, you can use a multi-pin connector and make your own wiring harness, which will let you remove the top dash panel with the gauges attached - this makes installation and service down the road very easy, rather than trying to deal with any tubing connectors.
If you need to use a mechanical gauge, then you should get the column mount.
yes, tom i would aprishiate the link to the dash pod. sounds like some good and bad with the column mount witch the bad im seeing is what i suspected. i wondered how it would block the dash indicators and ease of reading gauges witch you and roy have confirmed my suspisions. my only question about the dash pod would be if they have a 2 gauge mount as i only need/want the 2 extra gauges (remember my truck is a 6 speed)
--
-Chris
05 CTD

No, it's only a triple. C'mon - you can always use an extra gauge :)
I'll get you some pictures later on tonight. Currently, my dash pod is out of my truck (had a gauge go tilt on me - currently getting fixed by Autometer), so you'll be able to see how it mounts, how I did the wiring, etc.
I should be able to find some pictures of an installed pod, as well.
thanks tom
--
-Chris
05 CTD

Make sure before you commit to a programmer that you give the Smarty a look: http://www.madselectronics.com/products.html
Marco's been doing ECM reprogramming for years now, and his CaTCHER ECM's for the older 24V engines have been highly regarded.

They are quite the toy. A friend who has a 06 p/s uses one. I've driven it a lot and was really surprised at the difference it makes. The only thing is a question about dc being able to tell that you've been there and knocking a warranty claim. There is a bit of talk on the tdr about it but nothing conclusive.
Roy
So Tom, next time you're in Dallas, bring your gauge installation skills along. I have a truck that needs fuel pressure and tranny temp gauges installed. Come on, there's pizza and beer in it for ya.
:-) Craig C.

I used that on a 2K and it was in they way too much and at time a pia to see. I took it off after a couple of weeks. Try the mount on the top of the dash.
Roy

I have enough gauges without adding more. I don't care what the manifold pressure is. If I had to add a gauge, just because I tow allot, it would be a transmission temperature gauge.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

With a Cummins with a auto I'd think a fuel pressure is a must unless it is a newer model. The trans temp is a close second. It still amazes be how quickly they heat up when in reverse, the temp fly's up.
Roy

I've got an 05 dually. Besides, what are you gonna do if your pressure drops out on the road? I've got a card with a DC number on it to call if that happens.
At least with a temp guage on the transmission, you could pull over and wait for it to cool down before burning something up. It's kinda hard to fix a fuel pressure problem when your on the road.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
MoParMaN wrote:

If the lift pump fails the truck will still run. Some people don't notice any loss of power at all when the lift pump fails. When the lift pump fails it puts extra stress on the injection pump causing it to fail also. If you monitor the fuel pressure you can tell when the lift pump fails and correct the problem before it causes expensive injection pump failure.
Fuel pressure gauge: $75.00 Lift pump: $170.00 Injection pump: $1,075.00
--
Ken

Under warranty my cost will be Zero.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

The cost maybe zero but the bs sucks. The lift pump goes we are on our ass until towed to the dealer and they order one and it gets to the dealer. The earlier ones you can pop a new lift pump on in a half hour and your on your way. I think even with the newer ones a fuel pressure gauge will give you a heads up if it starts to fail and you can still get to a dealer. Beats being left at the side of the road when it fails totally.
Roy

I believe with the 05's and up when they fail you are on your ass, unlike the earlier models where you have some time before th ip goes away.
Roy

My FP gauge tells me when it's time to change my fuel filter. My trans temp gauge tells me when to back off the go pedal, or downshift. Same with my EGT gauge. My TOT lets me know when it's cool enough to shut down. Boost gauge lets me know if a clamp loosened up, or to back off the throttle because I'm about to pop a head gasket. Oil pressure gauge lets me see what my pressure REALLY is - not some stupid idiot-light-turned-sweeper-gauge. And, ummm... oh yeah, my water temp gauge pretty much serves to fill a hole, and back up the stock ECT sensor :)
Christopher Thompson wrote:

Why not use a 2 or 3 pod A-Pillar mount? Looks great.