Generic oil seal installation tool vs. Dodge tool #6635 question

Threaded View

I'm preparing to replace the timing chain on my '99 Dodge Ram 5.9 gas
engine, which also means replacing the front crankshaft oil seal.  I have a
generic oil seal installation tool kit that looks like it will work, but the
depth of the various size disks is only about 1/4 inch.  The service manual
calls for Dodge Special tool 6635 with a depth that looks to be about 2
inches and the manual says to use the vibration dampener bolt in conjunction
with the special tool to draw the seal into position.

I have not started to remove parts yet, so I don't know if I should use the
special tool, or if I can use my generic set with either a shorter bolt or
with the vibration dampener as a spacer in conjuction with the stock bolt.
I realize that the depth of the special tool will provide a more square
seating provided the depth of the hole in the timing chain cover is greater
than the depth of my generic set.

Any thoughts regarding whether I should buy the special tool would be
appreciated.

Re: Generic oil seal installation tool vs. Dodge tool #6635 question

I should also have mentioned, that when I have pressed oil seals into other
engines, I have used sockets, or other items as spacers, but I had the
luxury of time to complete the repair.  I would like to perform this job in
one weekend, which should be ample as long as I'm not chasing down tools :)

Re: Generic oil seal installation tool vs. Dodge tool #6635 question

Just remove the old seal and install the new one when the cover's off.  No
special tools required at all.  It sounds like the Dodge tool is for
replacing a leaking seal without removing the timing cover.

See http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/timingchain.php for lots of good
reference pics.

Re: Generic oil seal installation tool vs. Dodge tool #6635 question

Well, yeah, if you want to do it the easy way.  ;<) Thanks for the
suggestion and the link.  And yes, that's what the special tool is designed
for.