Global Warming hits Parish, NY

Page 1 of 3
This is enough to keep the neighborhood pushers in business for awhile...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/n/a/2007/02/10/national/a163410S84.DTL
FMB (North Mexico)

Damn, that's a lot even by lake effect standards.

Just think how much snow they would have if we didnt have GLOBAL WARMING???

WARMING???
Probably none as Global Warming prevented the lakes from freezing over and that is what is causing so much damn snow now.

TBone wrote:

Bull. The areas getting all the snow aren't all from lake effect which is a rather localized event. Which lakes exactly are you referring too here?

Lake Ontario - it *IS* Lake effect. geesh!
h_k wrote:

The heavy snows are not limited to the downwind lake vicinity. Try again.

U R a dunce!
h_k wrote:

The last time Lake Ontario froze was 1976 and before that was 1934. TBone's claim of Global Warming causing lake effect snow because of lack of freezing on Lake Ontario is pure BS.

You are correct Miles, it doesn't normally freeze but by this time of the year the water is usually damn cold and gives off little humidity. This year, due to the global warming that you stupidly refuse to believe exists, the water is still piss warm and is dumping tons of humidity into these storms.

TBone wrote:

The NOAA and DOA stats do not back up your claims. They both show Lake Ontario surface temps to be about average. They were slightly above average in the fall and below average last spring and early summer. Go ahead, take a look for yourself since you failed to do so prior to making this statement. Just like you should have looked up whether it even freezes over before making your prior claim of such.

the
exists,
Actually Miles, yes they do.

LOL, how is that even possible? Where are they taking those temps that you are referring to from and are they "about average" in relation to the current temps?? I don't think so. How is it possible that they were above average in the fall and now magically "about average" now??? The truth is that the temp were above average in the fall and are now still above average in relation to the current temps in the region and that is causing the lake to supply WAY more moisture to these storms then it normally would resulting in record lake effect snows. Any way you want to spin it Miles, you are wrong.

LOL, are you really this desperate Miles??? I guess so. Actually, what was said by the experts that if the lake was at its normal temps during the season, it WOULD HAVE FROZEN OVER with these very low temps in the area now and would not be able to dump this much moisture in the air causing these HUGE LAKE EFFECT SNOW STORMS. Go look it up.

TBone wrote:

That means you didn't bother looking. The surface temps are currently about 33-34F, right where they typically are. NOAA is currently showing Jan/Feb temps right about average.

Ahh, now you've proven that you did not even take a look at NOAA's or DOA's website. If you had you would see exactly where all of the temperature sensors are located.

Um, TBone, the average temperature for a given day of the year varies. Average temp in the summer is higher than it is in the winter. Or didn't you know that it's usually colder in the winter months than summer? What have you been smoking?? Too funny.

NOAA's stats for 2006/2007 show otherwise. You haven't even looked have you? You're just arguing aren't ya!! Theres some dang funny stuff right there!!

Experts huh? It has frozen over only twice in the last 100 years and only very briefly. The current temps match the average. I'd rather take NOAA's recorded temps than your politically motivated BS.

Miles, he is not wrong. They are getting the lake effect snows from Lake Ontario, which does not freeze over, like Lake Erie does. FYI Erie has just recently froze over in late Jan, which is extremely odd for being so late a freeze.
azwiley1 wrote:

I realize that but the severe winter conditions are not isolated to just that one area. My response was to the claims regarding Global Warming causing the severe winters. As you pointed out Ontario doesn't freeze over anyways. The lack of ice coverage isn't because of Global Warming as TBone tried to claim.
Talk to people in plain states and rocky mountain states! Many areas have been hit hard with both heavy snows and frigid temps.

You are correct about the heavy snow and frigid temps, in the plains states and other areas. However, being someone that lived most of his life in an area constantly hit by lake effect snows, including the Blizzard of 77, all the snow that is hitting the Lake Oswego area of Western/Upstate NY is ALL due to lake effect storms. Just because it is not localized to areas directly on the lake, does not mean it is not lake effect.
Besides, as the topic reads, the thread is about NY not the plains. So their weather really has little bearing or relevance.
azwiley1 wrote:

Thats true but the lack of ice on lake Ontario because of global warming isn't the cause for the lake effect snow in NY.

You are correct. Being that Lake O almost never freezes, G.W. has no bearing on things. Now, to say that Lake E has taken so long to freeze could be related to G.W.

Posted without comment
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1363818.ece
Mike

Mike Simmons wrote:

It bugs me when science gets "polluted" by politics.
There apparently are some meteorologists who now want to decertify weathermen (from AMS professional membership) that don't buy in to human caused global warming science.
It seems I now have to quote "science" because we can't be certain how much of what it says is science and how much is politics.
Nothing new; been that way for centuries. Still annoying.
SMH