Global Warming hits Parish, NY

Page 2 of 3

Kinda reminds you of the time when people wanted to kill those who said the Earth wasn't the center of the universe
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Funny, I was thinking of Galileo when I wrote that!
Some things never change.
SMH

What I find amusing tho' is that our friends on the left are wanting to stifle debate on the subject. Aren't they always the ones who bitch the loudest about inclusion, etc.? 'Guess that only applies if you agree with 'em.
;^)
Mike

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:08:57 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

I didn't know you were that old Tom.
beekeep

GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is lake effect snow EVERY year. Stop picking apart each and every little word. geesh!

No that is not true. There have been numerous years where Western/Upstate NY has not seen a lake effect storm. Oh, as I am sure you will want to prove me wrong, for your edification, I was born and raised in Buffalo, my entire family still resides there, my son and biotch of an ex-wife still reside there, and I am there just about every year for the holidays.

Stop being so damn sensitive!

Face it Miles, your wrong. Get over it.

TBone wrote:

No TBone. It is you who were proven wrong. You tried to claim the lack of ice is why its been snowing. When you realized you were wrong you then claimed warmer water temps. How about looking some of this info up before you make more bonehead claims.
"miles" < snipped-for-privacy@nopers.com> wrote in message

Lake
just
late a

No, but record warm water temps for this time of year are and warm water releases far more humidity into the air than cold water. Could you back peddal any faster.

Really??? Please list all of the areas dealing with 9 feet of snow.

TBone wrote:

NOAA and DOA readings show 33-34F which is about the statistical average. Any colder and it would be frozen which it rarely does.

Colorado for starters. They have a huge lake that didn't freeze over because of global warming as well?

Statistical average, hahahahahahahahahahahaha, more right wing bullshit half truths. Those statistics are meaningless unless associated with the air temps at the time but you knew that, right???

And how much more snow did they get?

TBone wrote:

Temperatures are fairly repeatable from year to year but you already knew that right? Oh wait, no you didn't since you failed to look at NOAA's recorded readings. Now you claim they are meaningless anyways. Good grief do you run all over the place!! The variance is very low. Lake Erie is quite another story where temps vary widely from year to year. You do know why that is right?

You eastern flatlanders have no clue as to what a heavy snowfall is. 9 feet is a lot for a couple day period but is quite common in California, Colorado and elsewhere in the west. No big deal.

half
Which is the first bit of evidence that things are changing. Did you look at the air temp readings in relation to the water temp readings over time? Did you look at the air temp readings for the few times that it did freeze over?

Data taken out of contex or data missing key pieces is worthless but you knew that, right????

That's not what I said but I am used to your lame spin. What I said was that the data is meaningless unless ALL of the revelant data is taken into account which as usual, you didn't do.

What variance Miles???? The water temp or the air temp or both???

What exactly does that have to do with this? Oh, that's right, not a damn thing.

Once again, you resort to meaningless data and smoke and mirrors.

Hey there bubba, I resent that! I am one of those "eastern flatlanders" and I can tell you that 110" + over the course of a week is a lot of damn snow,ANY where. Hell it might have just set a new Guinness Record. What you don't know (obviously) is that over the course of a typical Western/Upstate NY winter, specifically around Lake O where it does not freeze over, to have that much snow over the course of the winter is NOT uncommon. Let me go back a few years to 01-02 when Buffalo got 84" over a 36 (IIRC) hour period, want pictures?
I would like to see your proof as to where in Cali or Colo that they get 9' of snow? Don't say in the mountains because if you do, you are comparing apples to Dolly Parton, because now you would be throwing in a variable that would be IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate.
azwiley1 wrote:

So it has to be low lying cities only or the heavy snows don't count? Almost all of the cities that get snow in CA or CO ARE in the mountains. It doesn't snow much in the deserts! Ok, compare the eastern mountain towns. No comparison to the west there either. Hell, even Flagstaff, AZ. averages more snow than Buffalo, NY.

First, I doubt seriously that Flagstaff averages more sound per year then Buffalo. If you have something that proves it, please post it.
Second, how can you legitimately compare snow levels of mountains that sit at 12k or higher in some cases to areas that sit only a few K above sea level? But lets talk about it, after doing some quick searching on the web, I have not found one city, including Denver that has reported that much snow over a winter.
Lets continue to talk about High cities, if they get that kind of snow that you claim they do, why is it that they have to completely shut down, like Denver has had to do this year? They only had a few feet, over generally the same amount of time as what has hit NY, yet, NY hasn't shut down like Denver has.
Want to know why? Becuase NY is used to getting snow like that ALL the time and is ALWAYS prepared for it. Areas like you mention DO NOT get snow like that and when they do get hit with a bad storm it is ALWAYS a problem.
azwiley1 wrote:

Few people realize that AZ gets more snow than most eastern cities. Furthermore, cities in eastern AZ get significantly more than Flagstaff.
Per NOAA Flagstaff 100.3", Buffalo 93.6" http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html

Who said anything about 12K? None the less the western cities that get yearly snow ARE in the mountains.

Denver did not shut down. The airport did. Eastern cities come to a halt with little more than a foot or two of snow. DC is a classic example.

What??? The airports in the NY area were shutdown. The reason Denver's airport shutdown became national news is because it was over a holiday high traffic period and Denver is a major hub airport.

They do not. Buffalo and vicinity averages only 93" over an entire winter season. They are not used to 9 feet in a couple day period at all.

Oh, here we go, extracted from http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate / online/ccd/snowfall.html
DATA THROUGH 2002 YRS JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT NOV DEC ANN FLAGSTAFF, AZ 44 20.4 18.4 22.0 9.9 1.7 T T 0.0 0.1 2.0 9.9 15.9 100.3 DENVER, CO 61 8.1 7.5 12.5 8.9 1.6 0.0 T T 1.6 3.7 9.1 7.3 60.3 BUFFALO, NY 59 24.0 17.7 12.5 3.2 0.2 T T T T 0.3 11.4 24.3 93.6
Ironically enough, here are two that blow your claims to snow levels out of the water, though they also make NY look weak too.
VALDEZ, AK 31 66.3 58.4 52.3 22.5 2.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.4 12.1 39.6 72.4 326.0 YAKUTAT, AK 54 37.6 37.7 36.3 16.4 1.5 T 0.0 T T 5.6 22.0 38.2 195.3
azwiley1 wrote:

Note that Flagstaff averages more snow than Denver or Buffalo. Yes I know about Valdez as my brother lives there and has a snowcat to get around!
In California places like Twin Lakes, Soda Springs, and Mammoth Lakes all average over 400" a year.