Goodbye to the Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned

Last Friday, I traded my 1992 Dodge 250 4X4 with a Cummins diesel, for a new Ford Escape. I must admit, there was a lump in my throat as the Dodge faded from view in my new rear-view mirror. It was "head and shoulders" the best vehicle I've owned in my life -- no other will come close.

I purchased it new in late 1991 from a auto broker here in Victoria, BC. Over the past 15-16 years, I put 216,000 kilometers on it, and while there were the normal range of problems with the body, the only work done to that Cummins diesel (aside from regular maintenance, of course) -- two serpentine belts. That's it...! It's almost unblieveable.

I do not miss Chrysler Canada -- they are total jerks to deal with. I had to sue them when they wouldn't do anything about the peeling paint four years after I bought it. I posted an article here about that several years ago at:

But I will miss the truck. It took me to California and northern Mexico a couple of times. To Yellowstone and all over the central US. All around the province of BC several times. Up to the Yukon and Alaska -- all of these trips hauling a camper and sometimes towing a trailer. Lot's of city driving, too -- I've commuted to work in it every day for almost 16 years. When I traded, it was still getting around 25 MPG on the highway, there was no smoke in the exhaust -- even under load, and no oil used between changes. What an engine...!

But after 16 years, I'd had enough of the the noise and rough ride. I'm not doing the hunting and fishing that I once did, approaching late

50's -- it was time for her to go. For the trade, I received about half of what I paid for it -- also pretty damn good for a 16 year old vehicle.

Anyone soul-searching whether to buy gas, diesel, hemi, power stoke, etc., the Cummins is one fine, fine engine.

Reply to
steveinvictoria

But how do you know it was any good? Only 14 or 15 years. Hardly enough time to get to know it.

I lost my 72 Dodge a few years ago. It had 300k miles on it before the speedometer retired. A true dependable friend. For 30 years. I still think of it everyday. It is now hauling cactus in Nevada. What a bleak life.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sorry you had to let it go. End of last year I had to let go my 1979 Dodge Ram SnoCommander. I really miss the full time 4 wheel drive. It still was a good truck but needed alot of work I couldn't afford nor did I know how to do it.

Reply to
ktos

My condolences guys....and bowing my head in respect. I lost my 89 dodge D50 this spring. 390,000km and the engine was still running strong. I was commuting home from work when it started powering down and balking. Looked behind me and saw I was leaving a trail of steam and smoke...looked at the heat gauge and it was buried. I knew what was happening and I knew that the 2.6L engine was prone to warping if over heated. So I put my foot down and let her ride until she died.........turned off the key and patted her on the dash board for a good long run. I learned later that a heater hose slipped off. I can't bear to part with her though. I may bury her in the back yard.