Got my new tires!

Thanks to all that recommended tirerack.com for ordering tires. It took less than a month to deliver my 4 Michelin LTX M/S tires.
I've visually checked the tires over, sidewalls are smooth - no bulges
or pits or anything, nothing obvious on the tread... is there anything else in particular I should look for in the way of defects or shipping damage? They just slap some tape and a couple of ties around each pair of tires, aren't shipped in a box or anything.
What should I look for after the tires are installed? This'll be the first time I've put new tires on a 4x4, not sure if there's anything special I need to keep an eye on.
They don't get installed until next week, bummer.
I paid $111 each, with $60 shipping. Considering they shipped insured, to an APO, I thought the shipping price relatively cheap. Not so sure about the price of the tires, but when overseas a good, reliable internet company is more important than their prices. Anyway, I'm quite happy with their service and join the ranks (or should it be racks?) of those who'd recommend tirerack.com
jmc

able to find instructions on how to decipher the date code online. I wouldn't want to install tires that were already a couple of years old.
Suddenly, without warning, Lance LaFrinier exclaimed (06-Oct-05 2:37 PM):

checked out the copious data on the sidewall (lots more data than my current tires!). Wouldn't tires a couple of years old be obviously distorted or flat where they'd been sitting (my bike's certainly was)? Other than that, why would old but unused tires be bad?
jmc
I seriously doubt your tires are old. Look around...you'll see those tires on just about everything....well, here in the states anyway. Put those puppies on and go ride. Don't sweat the small stuff.
--
_________________________
Laszlo Almasi

Oh, I doubt they're old either, but since it was brought up, can't hurt to look.
Wish I could get 'em installed today! I listened to bad advice concerning tire inflation on the back, and didn't notice my error soon enough, so now the center tread (bead?) on all four is smooth, though still legal and still showing good tread elsewhere. Truck slides like it's on grease now, turning corners when the roads are wet. Which, in a normal summer (this wasn't, it was wonderful) is most of the time.
Won't make the same mistake twice though!
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (06-Oct-05 4:40 PM):

I work at The Tire Rack and saw this post. I am very glad to hear your experience went well and appreciate the recommendations from others.
The age of the tire is determined by the last 6 digits of the DOT number stamped on the sidewall near the bead. 2 digits tell the week in which the tire was produced and the last 4 tell the year.
Hear are two articles on our website that explain this fully:
Reading the sidewall: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid3
Determining the age: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid
I hope this helps,
Tim
Suddenly, without warning, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com exclaimed (06-Oct-05 10:30 PM):

Thanks for this info. I'm always happy to pass on recommendations when I find a good company, especially online - when one is posted overseas as I am, internet commerce has become more of a necessity than a nice-to-have. And not everyone ships to APO addresses!
I did poke around in tirerack.com's very informative articles, guess I missed those two - thanks!
jmc