Grand Caravan A/C intermittent problems

My a/c when it works is blowing out very cold air (40*), but lately it has been working intermittently. The first time it went off was after driving it
all day with a/c on. Then after sitting for 24 hours, I started it and the ac works and it works for a week before it quits again. This time it is early in the morning with a cold engine. Let it sit again for almost a day and it works again. Works good for 5 to 6 days now it is off again. Worked this morning for about 20 minutes and now does not come on. The blower has always worked. Still cools very well when it works but what would cause this intermittent situation?
Thanks for all that respond.
Clark
Please email me at 4theclarks *AT* comcast *dot* net
I've heard that some part of the system (sorry don't know more details) can freeze, especially in high humidity and when it does the AC will stop working. Instead of running the AC at full cold, you may try selecting a temperature setting a little above max cold. If that solves the problem I would have the pressure of the 134A (I assume that's what you have) checked and topping it off if necessary.