Grinding noise on left turn

Hello group,
My friend has a '94 Dakota v6 2wd manual, when he takes a left turn you hear a noise that sounds like rubbing gravel together in your hands. Of course
first thought was wheel bearings, but it is coming from the back. Now his dad was a mechanic ( a while ago), so they took off the diff cover and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but replaced a few gears and the pins that hold the axel in (this is what they told me, I wasn't there). Still does it. Then we starting looking at the brake drums and backing plates and the left drum looks like its rubbing on the bottom of the backing plate. We switched the drums from side to side but it still does it. His dad thought maybe the axel wore some to cause the drum it move in and out, he contacted a friend at a dodge dealership in the parts dept, he said they have never sold an axel for that truck. So here are my couple of questions, has anyone heard of this happening? Any thoughts of what would cause this? Any help would be appeciated.
Thanks John

Thoughts? Like a bad axel/wheel bearing? Maybe?
PeterD wrote:

It could be an axle bearing. Your friend's dad was a mechanic. He's in a much better position to troubleshoot the problem. He can see it and listen to the problem and look at things. He has a huge advantage over us. I can throw guesses at it but he's probably already checked the obvious stuff.
--
Ken