Guess I may not be a Dodge/Cummins customer after this year

By Tom Spalding Posted: August 25, 2009
A division of Columbus-based Cummins will shed 400 jobs at a plant in Iowa, moving that work to an established and more modern facility in
Mexico.
The diesel engine maker may also move assembly work out of a plant in Cookeville, Tenn.
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090825/BUSINESS/90825017/Cummins+to+idle+400++shifts+work+to+Mexico
What was it thar ol' Ross spoke of? "That giant sucking sound"

beekeep

Although I wouldn't want my engine made in Mexico, the story is about moving the "Filtration" division to Mexico; not the whole company. I don't use Cummins fuel or oil filters. My '03 CTD is still running strong at 176k miles, assembled in Salcito (sp) Mexico.
http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId 33&dataId)82&newsInfo=true&menuId=4 or http://tinyurl.com/momzun
FMB (North Mexico)

That is not the point. If they keep moving things elsewhere, where will people work or be able to buy things? I guess it will be just like the epsiode in Sliders "Season's Greedings" where most people have moved to giant malls working to pay off credit for buying things. The malls push people to buy more during Christmas than they can afford so they will be in perpetual slavery.
Hmmm..sounds like Walmart.
It's getting harding to be self reliant in these days as the US government allows the whole planet to immigrate into the US each year. Soon it will be like a giant burb across the US with nothing to do but work at burger joints inside Walmarts.

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.jsp?siteId=1&langId 33&dataId)82&newsInfo=true&menuId=4

OTOH, if the Mexicans have good jobs in Mexico, many of them won't be coming up here. Though I do hear what you're saying.
Ken
<snip>

The Sony plant here is laying off people and talking about closing, which will dump a lot more people into the unemployed pile.. Huge amount of layoffs and closings here and I think the article I read said that Sony would be terminating about 1,200 jobs..
As for where something is built, IMO that's more of a patriotic concern than a quality issue.. Most of my wood working machines are made off shore and are very good.. The quality level is determined by what the company orders and accepts, not where it's made..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

My Baxter Whitney Planner was made in the USA!
beekeep

This is really crappy. More and more American companies are forgetting their roots.

Problem with Ross is ... he's a hypocrite. His I/T company, Perot Systems based here in the Dallas area, off-shores I/T jobs to India at an alarming rate. Ross is a greedy turd just like every other CEO.
Craig C.
He has been opening up a new giant 5k worker office in Mexico for the past year or so.