guns on campus

Page 1 of 14
Keep in mind that I am one of this places elders. I can remember back when I went to college and students openly carried guns. One physics class the project
was to calculate the speed of a bullet. To do this a wood 6x6 was hung by two strings from the ceiling and a line with a piece of paper was strung along the 6x6. By measuring the distance the paper was moved one could calculate how much the 6x6 was raised, etc. In the previous class the professor asked if anyone would bring in a gun along with extra ammo so we could weigh the projectiles for the experiment. One student ageed and we fired the gun into the 6x6, a 38 I believe, inside the class room! It made one hell of a noise but I can't remember anyone even coming to the door to see what was going on.
My point is back when it was easy to pack shit like what happened today just didn't happen.
Flame away.
beekeep
On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:01:27 +0000, beekeep wrote:

another testament to what i was saying in the other thread...
Chris
05 CTD

No flame at all from here. It's legal in the state of Virginia to carry a concealed weapon at VT (as long as you have a concealed carry permit, of course). It's VT policy, however, that anyone found doing so will be expelled. "You don't need a gun on campus - you're safe here", they said. "If anyone ever needs the police, just use the call boxes around campus".
Had even a few students been allowed to protect themselves, and by extension others around them, this tragedy would have been minimized.
VT's staff and policies are the reason over 30 people were killed.... first, they prohibit their student body from having the ability to defend themselves, stating that they can protect them better, then they fail to follow through on that protection.

indeed tom.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

I love this picture:
http://police.unlv.edu/
Yup, society really is safer when law abinding citizens can carry concealed weapons and the criminals don't know who is carrying.

"Ed H." wrote:

The shooter at VT may have been a "law abiding citizen" until yesterday.
JAM
He was clearly a criminal because he was in possession of 2 handguns with the serial numbers removed. If members of the student body or faculty had been armed and trained in the proper use of firearms and when it's appropriate to use one then the death toll could have been much lower.

its VERY encouraging to find this repeated over and over every place i read. its encouraging to see that the importance of carry is brought into the open....although its a shame it took a tragedy such as this to put it in the forefront.
--
Nathan in Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com
===== ===== On Apr 16, 6:01�pm, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

========
God, we ask that you be with these families, come into their hearts tonight, be with them, let them feel your presence. We pray God, that those who have fallen come unto you and your mercy be shown.
in the name of our Lord,Jesus Christ.
amen
Marsh Monster wrote:

Would that be the same god that stood by and allowed this to happen?
JAM

Yeah, that be the same God. Just because people believe in God, it does not exempt them from bad things or death. It just has to do with what happens to them after death.
When men stand by and allow these things to happen because of liberal legislation, civil rights, constitutional nomenclature, gaping loopholes, and just plain permissive attitudes, where in the world does a God figure enter the picture who's supposed to keep everything fair and make everything right?
BTW, I saw a lot of cops standing around for a lot of time yesterday, too.
Steve

beekeep
On Apr 17, 2:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

Ol' boy with that AR damn sure as hell needs to run!

Would that be the same god that stood by and allowed this to happen?
JAM
Most people do not understand why God permits wickedness and so blame him for all the bad things that take place. They do not realize that man's inclination toward badness is not because of God's will but because of the sin of Adam. (see Rom. 5:12) They may be unaware of the existence of Satan the Devil and of his influence on world affairs, so they ascribe to God the vile things perpetrated by Satan. (see 1 John 5:19; Rev. 12:12) If they are to some extent aware of these things, they may feel that God is slow about taking action, because they do not see clearly the issue of universal sovereignty and do not grasp the fact that God's patience down till this time affords them an undeserved opportunity for salvation. (see Rom. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9) Also, they do not fully realize that God has a set time when he will destroy forever all who practice wickedness.-see Rev. 22:10-12; 11:18; Hab. 2:3.
If someone else committed a crime, how would you feel if you were blamed for it? You would consider this very unjust. Justice requires that the guilty be punished and the innocent be freed from blame. If an automobile driver ignores a stop sign at a busy intersection and gets into a bad accident as a result, it is not the fault of the law. If a person becomes a glutton and gets sick from overeating, it is not the fault of the farmer who grew the food. Then why should the heavenly Father, God, be blamed when mankind commits wrongs? Should not the blame be put where it belongs-on the guilty party?
Also, there is something else to consider. If we blame God for such things as starvation from food shortages, whom do we credit for the productive fields and orchards that produce such bountiful crops in many lands? If we blame God for sickness, whom do we credit for the body's marvelous healing systems? If we blame God for city slums, whom do we credit for majestic mountains, clear lakes, delightful flowers and beautiful trees? Clearly, if we blame God for the world's troubles and then credit him for the good things of the earth, it is a contradiction. A loving God would not promote both good and bad at the same time.
Who, then, is to blame for the terrible things that have happened to the human family? Much of the blame must rest on people themselves. Human dishonesty and frustration cause crimes. Human pride and selfishness cause wrecked marriages, hatreds and racial prejudices. Human error and unconcern cause pollution and filth. Human arrogance and stupidity cause wars; and when entire nations blindly follow political leaders into those wars, then they must share the blame for the suffering. Hunger and poverty are primarily due to human neglect and greed. Consider: the world now spends well over $200 billion each year on armaments. If all of this were properly spent on growing and equally distributing food and eliminating poor housing, think what could be done!
No, God is not to blame for the wrongs that humans themselves commit. And he is not to blame for the wrongs blessed by clergymen who claim to serve God but who do not speak the truth or practice it. Well, then, was there something wrong with the way God made mankind? Did he give the human race a bad start?
Many people think that the answer to that question is yes. 'If God cared,' they reason, 'would not the world be a very different place?' We look around and see a world full of war, hatred, and misery. And as individuals, we get sick, we suffer, we lose loved ones in death. Thus, many say, 'If God cared about us and our problems, would he not prevent such things from happening?'
Worse yet, religious teachers sometimes lead people to think that God is hardhearted. How so? When tragedy strikes, they say that it is God's will. In effect, such teachers blame God for the bad things that happen. Is that the truth about God? What does the Bible really teach? James 1:13 answers: "When under trial, let no one say: 'I am being tried by God.' For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone." So God is never the source of the wickedness you see in the world around you. (see Job 34:10-12) Granted, he does allow bad things to happen. But there is a big difference between allowing something to happen and causing it.
For example, think about a wise and loving father with a grown son who is still living at home with his parents. When the son becomes rebellious and decides to leave home, his father does not stop him. The son pursues a bad way of life and gets into trouble. Is the father the cause of his son's problems? No. (see Luke 15:11-13) Similarly, God has not stopped humans when they have chosen to pursue a bad course, but he is not the cause of the problems that have resulted. Surely, then, it would be unfair to blame God for all the troubles of mankind.
God has good reasons for allowing mankind to follow a bad course. As our wise and powerful Creator, he does not have to explain his reasons to us. Out of love, however, God does this. Rest assured that God is not responsible for the problems we face. On the contrary, he gives us the only hope for a solution!-see Isaiah 33:2.
Furthermore, God is holy. (see Isaiah 6:3) This means that he is pure and clean. There is no trace of badness in him. So we can trust him completely. That is more than we can say for humans, who sometimes become corrupt. Even the most honest human in authority often does not have the power to undo the damage that bad people do. But God is all-powerful. He can and will undo all the effects that wickedness has had on mankind. When God acts, he will do so in a way that will end evil forever!-see Psalm 37:9-11.
Klumze

Thanks Budd!!!

Yep. The same one that watches as children are run over by cars, tortured and starved to death by evil parents, and who allows all bad things to happen.
God is no respecter of man, it says in the Bible. And if you believe in Him, you will have everlasting life. And if you don't, then you just go to Hell and listen to endless speeches by Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy.
Steve

Thanks Budd!!!
Sorry I'm not Bud

WOW, from that biblical novel one sure would have thought other wise. Honest mistake. :)

ridiculed!
beekeep