guns on campus

Ol' boy with that AR damn sure as hell needs to run!

Reply to
azwiley1

If you are going to look at it from a psycological point of view then you must consider that the people that do these types of things are generally cowards in the first place and would think twice before commiting such acts.

These are the people that end up going into law enforcement so they end up carrying a gun anyway.

The perp's accuracy would be greatly reduced if he's seeking cover. The total number killed would likely be reduced.

It struck me a little wierd that the flags are at half mast. Aren't that many soldiers dying every week abroad? The news is all about the senseless deaths, yet they never mention the numbers that die in auto accidents every year. That number is equal to two full 747s going down every week! I see the "gun banners" are coming out of the wood work again. They just don't get it.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Would that be the same god that stood by and allowed this to happen?

JAM

Most people do not understand why God permits wickedness and so blame him for all the bad things that take place. They do not realize that man's inclination toward badness is not because of God's will but because of the sin of Adam. (see Rom. 5:12) They may be unaware of the existence of Satan the Devil and of his influence on world affairs, so they ascribe to God the vile things perpetrated by Satan. (see 1 John 5:19; Rev. 12:12) If they are to some extent aware of these things, they may feel that God is slow about taking action, because they do not see clearly the issue of universal sovereignty and do not grasp the fact that God's patience down till this time affords them an undeserved opportunity for salvation. (see Rom. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9) Also, they do not fully realize that God has a set time when he will destroy forever all who practice wickedness.-see Rev. 22:10-12; 11:18; Hab. 2:3.

If someone else committed a crime, how would you feel if you were blamed for it? You would consider this very unjust. Justice requires that the guilty be punished and the innocent be freed from blame. If an automobile driver ignores a stop sign at a busy intersection and gets into a bad accident as a result, it is not the fault of the law. If a person becomes a glutton and gets sick from overeating, it is not the fault of the farmer who grew the food. Then why should the heavenly Father, God, be blamed when mankind commits wrongs? Should not the blame be put where it belongs-on the guilty party?

Also, there is something else to consider. If we blame God for such things as starvation from food shortages, whom do we credit for the productive fields and orchards that produce such bountiful crops in many lands? If we blame God for sickness, whom do we credit for the body's marvelous healing systems? If we blame God for city slums, whom do we credit for majestic mountains, clear lakes, delightful flowers and beautiful trees? Clearly, if we blame God for the world's troubles and then credit him for the good things of the earth, it is a contradiction. A loving God would not promote both good and bad at the same time.

Who, then, is to blame for the terrible things that have happened to the human family? Much of the blame must rest on people themselves. Human dishonesty and frustration cause crimes. Human pride and selfishness cause wrecked marriages, hatreds and racial prejudices. Human error and unconcern cause pollution and filth. Human arrogance and stupidity cause wars; and when entire nations blindly follow political leaders into those wars, then they must share the blame for the suffering. Hunger and poverty are primarily due to human neglect and greed. Consider: the world now spends well over $200 billion each year on armaments. If all of this were properly spent on growing and equally distributing food and eliminating poor housing, think what could be done!

No, God is not to blame for the wrongs that humans themselves commit. And he is not to blame for the wrongs blessed by clergymen who claim to serve God but who do not speak the truth or practice it. Well, then, was there something wrong with the way God made mankind? Did he give the human race a bad start?

Many people think that the answer to that question is yes. 'If God cared,' they reason, 'would not the world be a very different place?' We look around and see a world full of war, hatred, and misery. And as individuals, we get sick, we suffer, we lose loved ones in death. Thus, many say, 'If God cared about us and our problems, would he not prevent such things from happening?'

Worse yet, religious teachers sometimes lead people to think that God is hardhearted. How so? When tragedy strikes, they say that it is God's will. In effect, such teachers blame God for the bad things that happen. Is that the truth about God? What does the Bible really teach? James 1:13 answers: "When under trial, let no one say: 'I am being tried by God.' For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone." So God is never the source of the wickedness you see in the world around you. (see Job

34:10-12) Granted, he does allow bad things to happen. But there is a big difference between allowing something to happen and causing it.

For example, think about a wise and loving father with a grown son who is still living at home with his parents. When the son becomes rebellious and decides to leave home, his father does not stop him. The son pursues a bad way of life and gets into trouble. Is the father the cause of his son's problems? No. (see Luke 15:11-13) Similarly, God has not stopped humans when they have chosen to pursue a bad course, but he is not the cause of the problems that have resulted. Surely, then, it would be unfair to blame God for all the troubles of mankind.

God has good reasons for allowing mankind to follow a bad course. As our wise and powerful Creator, he does not have to explain his reasons to us. Out of love, however, God does this. Rest assured that God is not responsible for the problems we face. On the contrary, he gives us the only hope for a solution!-see Isaiah 33:2.

Furthermore, God is holy. (see Isaiah 6:3) This means that he is pure and clean. There is no trace of badness in him. So we can trust him completely. That is more than we can say for humans, who sometimes become corrupt. Even the most honest human in authority often does not have the power to undo the damage that bad people do. But God is all-powerful. He can and will undo all the effects that wickedness has had on mankind. When God acts, he will do so in a way that will end evil forever!-see Psalm 37:9-11.

Klumze

Reply to
klumze

Thanks Budd!!!

Reply to
azwiley1

Yep. The same one that watches as children are run over by cars, tortured and starved to death by evil parents, and who allows all bad things to happen.

God is no respecter of man, it says in the Bible. And if you believe in Him, you will have everlasting life. And if you don't, then you just go to Hell and listen to endless speeches by Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Thanks Budd!!!

Sorry I'm not Bud

Reply to
klumze

WOW, from that biblical novel one sure would have thought other wise. Honest mistake. :)

Reply to
azwiley1

Let's see... when only one country had nukes, over 200,000 people were killed by them. Since the proliferation of nuclear weapons, the death total from nuclear weapon use has been.... ummm.... zero.

Ya can't argue with numbers

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
Ed H.

As soon as some of these schools wake up and start allowing their student body to protect and defend themselves (God knows the school can't do it), and another event like this is thwarted because of lawful concealed carry, then we'll have something to study. Until then, we only have your made-up "what-if" scenario prejudiced by your own beliefs that guns are bad, and they make people do bad things with them.

I never said arm everyone. I'm saying allow those who have made the decision to carry, to do so. Not everyone's comfortable with a weapon hanging off their hip. That's fine - but don't deny the right of self-protection to those who want it for themselves.

You mean the added responsibility and the heightened awareness? Yeah, obviously both bad things...

It's not as I say... it's what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Or better his aim.... seems in this scenario, his mind was pretty-well made up. And at that point, ANYTHING is preferable to what occurred.

You said, "find a way to keep people from popping a circuit". How exactly would do you do that? (For the record, I don't believe in mind control, I don't think there are black helicopters hovering over my house, and I don't think tin foil make a particularly effective hat)

Yes, probably through DNA screening upon conception, followed by selective termination of those fetuses deemed "potential threats" to the State.... and so will emerge a master race. Gee, sounds like a wonderful society... count me out.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

What do you base that on?

A few items of interest

-Florida's Homicide rate dropped from 37% above the national average to 3% below the national average after the state changed it's concealed carry law in 1987.

-A study conducted by Don B. Kates Jr., at the St. Louis University School of Law found that while police were successful in shooting or driving off criminals 68% of the time private citizens succeeded 83% of the time. And, while 11% of the individuals involved in police shootings were later found to be innocent people who were misidentified as criminals, only 2% of those in civilian shootings were misidentified. Finally private citizens in urban areas encounter and kill up to 3 times as many criminals as do law enforcement personnel.

-Another, goverment funded survey of 1,874 felons conducted by Peter Rossi and James Wright found that 40% of the felons said they decided not to commit a crime because the feared the citizen was carring a firearm. 34% had been scared off, shot at, wounded or captured by an armed citizen.

I can't find the supporting evidence, but I remember reading a study several years ago that if 10% of the population has a concealed firearm the crime rate drops dramatically.

I don't think your scenario has much basis in fact.

Reply to
Ed H.

I am an atheist or more agnostic, but I would say that this post was in poor taste. I don't know your religious beliefs, but respect others. And, respect how other's grieve.

the same god that stood by and allowed this to happen?

Reply to
Xclimation

The same could be said for you. You weren't required to read it.

Reply to
Ed H.

Sure you can, wanna see!

Reply to
azwiley1

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Amen wudda sufficed.........

yer knowledge can be no greater than that of what is known.

but......if you have a need......carry on with yer rant.

~:~ mm ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

I don't blame god for anything, he doesn't exist.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dunkenfield

They do not respect my non belief in baseless superstitions.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dunkenfield

Raise the number of guns in society for those that feel they need to protect themselves and you will have a proportional increase in the number of idiots carrying a gun. Why? Because an idiot wants the gun for the same reason as anyone else.

I haven't read any stats that prove that gun owners are less likely to be a victim of a gun crime.

That said I don't have any desire to take guns away. I just don't want to make it easier to obtain one. It shouldn't be so easy.

Reply to
miles

"Bill Dunkenfield" wrote

Maybe not in the small spaces of YOUR mind.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Okay - what about it is too easy for you?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence