guns on campus

Page 12 of 14

Your consent? Your consent isn't needed for someone to avail themselves of their rights. Unless you're from one of the few states that refuses to recognize these rights, you've been in close proximity to more people than you know with a concealed weapon - and none of them needed your "consent" to do so.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Then the VT gunman, who purchased his gun legally, was exercising his right to bring his gun on campus. Got it.

Rights granted by states, and the U.S. Constitution, are two different animals. Unless the Constitution says otherwise, I guess your redneck state gov't can do whatever it wants. I live in a blue state.
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Yes, his purchase was legal. His concealed carry of same was NOT legal, as he did not possess a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit.

Correct. States should not be allowed to deprive citizens of rights guaranteed them by the USC. Most states recognize this basic concept. Sadly, a few do not.

My redneck state.... now that's funny. You are aware that I live in New Jersey (as I've posted here in this thread numerous times).... a state with some of the strictest gun control laws in the country, and some of the highest murder rates per capita of that same country (I know, I can't figure it out either)?

Which one?
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Kalifornia
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Plenty of counties in your state issue CCW permits. Do the county sheriff's call you for each one to get your "consent"?
When I was looking into a permit several years ago I found that plenty of counties do, but you need to get a permit from each incorporated city in the county through which you plan to carry, even if you're driving through on the interstate. The only way to legally transport a gun in California without a permit is unloaded, in a locked case, not within reach of any of the vehicles occupants and the ammunition not within the same locked case.

I live in Las Vegas. It is a big megalopolis now, with cities that border on each other. I am a permitee in Nevada, Utah, and Florida. That allows me to carry in about 39 states.
However, even here where I live, the laws are different in North Las Vegas, Henderson, and Boulder City. Every one has its own laws regarding concealed carry, and they supercede the state law and the regulations under which the local LVMPD issued the permit.
So, at times even if you are permitted, you can be in violation of lots of local laws as you drive from town to town and county to county. It is impossible to know all the laws of all the places you go to at times, such as traveling.
Steve
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:23:43 -0700, "Steve B"

that is not a good idea at all. in my state, a local jursdiction can give you more rights than state law, but can not restrict you more than state law.
i was in parhump nevada a year or two ago for a bit. it seemed that anyone could pretty much do whatever they wanted to there with guns. i loved the guy running for sheriff that drove around town with two cowboy guns on his hips.
i did love the country too. we only had to drive about a mile to find a safe place to shoot. wide open country. very pretty.
spent some time in north las vegas when i was training out on the nevada test site. north las vegas just didn't appeal to me.
my trips into las vegas also left me unimpressed. my wife liked it because she loves to shop and obviously they have a lot of places to do that. she also liked the local architecture. but for me, vegas was a bust. i have to admit, i liked parhump. very isolated.
i was trying to think of some way to say "tard" in my post, but it just didn't work out, but then i think i just did it anyway.
sorry. :)

Actually Steve, it is not "impossible" though I will admit it is pretty damn hard. I had a link to a website that gave ALL the states laws on hand gun carry. I found it because of the very reason you cited, travel. I used to drive from AZ to NY annually and wanted to be able to have the pistol with me, but found that once I crossed into NY, I was screwed as if you don't have a permit, you can not even transport. I would be happy to find that site for you if you like.
azwiley1 wrote:

I think if one doesn't know the laws of the area they're traveling then they shouldn't travel there, or pack differently. Theres always a few people that fail to do a little research and take their guns to Mexico for instance. Bad mistake if you get caught!

Man I would rather take it to NY with me and advertise that I have it then go into Mx with even one live round in the vehicle (no weapon) and be caught.
azwiley1 wrote:

I believe you can take a gun to Mexico if you plan to hunt but have to file for a permit, inspection etc. When I have traveled through Mexico I have been stopped at remote roadblocks and asked if I had weapons etc. From what I understand the locals there love these roadblocks around their cities as they did cut violent crimes. Rough way to cut it though. I've never had trouble at these roadblocks and traveled through with ease but they are intimidating, mostly rifle toting military guys. Strange place but I have to travel there as my folks retired in Mexico.

Laws change daily, and state laws do not reflect county or municipal laws. I believe it would be impossible to compile the rules because by the time you're done, they've changed.

So, if you take off on a trip in your motorhome, you should know in advance the laws in every city, town, county, and state you're going to be in? No one has that much brain space.
Steve

The statement about state laws not reflecting county laws is not an accurate statement Steve. As I am pretty familiar with the laws there, NY for example, the permits are issued via the individual counties, Niagra or Erie let's say. Though the permit is issued by say Erie, it is accepted and valid for the entire state as it's a New York State permit.
Now, I do understand what you are saying and do agree, but I feel it is rather a blanket statement.

Sure they do Steve, if they know how to use the internet. Just as Tom L. posted two links there are likely 100's more out there with more (or less) info. It doesn't take much time to find the info in your planning stages, IF you want too.

The only thing certain is that every state, county, and municipality has the right to set its own laws. And then, within that, private properties, such as businesses, have the right to set theirs, too.
It's a vast conglomeration of rules and laws, and something that even those who do it full time, such as nra.org and packing.org can't keep up to date information on. They have disclaimers on their sites that say the information may not be correct or in force at the time the article was posted.
As you have said, the best thing is to know ahead of time when that is possible to do. Certainly, if I was to be going out of the US, I would not be so stupid as not to investigate the laws first. However, even inside the US, it is a good idea to know first, and a lot of that information can be gotten in advance. And in those areas where one is in doubt, there's the old separate the gun and ammo idea. Rules in a lot of states seem to favor the idea that RVs are mobile houses, and that the homeowners have the right of self protection as if they were in a stationary house. Some states have now extended that idea towards motor vehicles provided certain requirements are met .... like registration, CCF permit ....... and certain things that pertain to that particular jurisdiction.
It's a big jumble of rules. And making suppositions and assumptions can cost you a lot if you're wrong.
Steve
azwiley1 wrote:

You got it backwards. State laws often reflect County laws, but only because *County laws always reflect State laws*. They have to!
A county can't permit something that the state forbids. It can forbid something that the state permits, but it can't forbid something that the state guarantees. And a county or state can't forbid something that the federal gov't guarantees. Authority flows from Federal->State->County in that order. And I don't exactly see the toothless 2nd Amendment guaranteeing freedom to carry guns in every county, do you?
--
In girum imus nocte
et consumimur igni

Oh yeah, forgot though the statement about changing laws is at least partially correct, I seriously doubt that laws concerning carrying a hand gun change anywhere near that often.
Steve B wrote:

If you are going to pack a gun then yes, you should know the laws regarding guns in vehicles in the states you are traveling through.

Okay. Do this. Take a 3,000 mile trip. Plan all that out in advance, researching each town, county, and state you will go through. Let us know how long it takes to get ready for the trip.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Been there done that. Not very difficult to find out what the strictest laws are for a given state. Thats all you need to know. If you can't figure it out then leave the gun at home. Ignorance isn't the solution.