guns on campus

Page 13 of 14

Steve, I guess you never read anything I have posted. I used to drive from AZ to NY once a year. Total trip distance was 2283 miles (close enough for you) and I did exactly what you are asking to be done. How long it took me, about a day to pack and about two days to find out the "general" state law for each of the states I drove through. I'm not sure why you seem to have such a problem with it.
azwiley1 wrote:

It's really not that difficult. If you keep your gun unloaded, locked up (not loose in the vehicle) and a trigger lock you'll be within the majority of state laws.

And attitude is 99.9% of it, too. Having the gun inoperable and inaccessible, and telling the officer about it within 30 seconds of the time he stops you speaks a lot for you. Trying to sit there and argue the law in the state you're from versus the town you're in is a recipe for disaster. But then, carrying an inoperable inaccessible defensive weapon is kind of an oxymoron, too.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Thats the law in many states.

I don't have a problem with it. I'm sure that you're sure about the laws in the areas that you have traveled to. The United States is a very large place. Laws vary immensely from place to place. In my own tip of Southern Nevada, there are four different sets of laws in the same metropolitan area, and that is within only one state and one county.
To suggest that all laws in every state, county, municipality and unincorporated area of the United States can be monitored, recorded, updated, and kept up with, by any one individual is giving that individual a lot of credit.
You found out the "general" law in each state that you drove through. What you don't seem to understand is that, like here in Nevada, you can drive through a town in a state, and that town requires totally different things of even CCF holders. Such as weapon in trunk, bullets in glove box, weapon in locked box, ammunition in separate locked box, etc. I think that if you spent the days it would take to research every little town you went through, or got off to get gas or hamburgers at, that you might find that you were actually in violation of that jurisdiction's gun laws.
Knowing the "general" laws of the state does not exempt you from following the laws of the two block street you might be on while dodging off the Interstate for gas. And bubba, those local Barney Fifes are notorious for generating income for their little burgs by snagging city boys who want to tell them all about how the laws are ..... in the city.
Our last CCF course was ten hours, up from six for the first, eight for the second. One added section was the changes in the three bordering municipalitiy's laws that affect CCF holders of state permits while in those municipalities. So, you can go to a class, learn the last set of laws, and still get nailed if the laws change before you get to a renewal class and learn the new ones.
Multiply that by 25,884,599 and you have an idea of why I say "One size don't fit all" ......... that general state rules don't always apply in all the small towns. That's not my problem, but the thought that I'm trying to convey.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

You're exageratting the issue way overboard making it far more difficult that reality. You don't need to know every single vehicle gun law in every city, county and state. Only what the strictest is on your travel route. Not that tough to find out for a given state. Furthermore its only an issue if you have a need to only comply with in a bare minimal fashion.

Exactly. Go with the strictest state laws and you're fine for your trip.
If you it is too tough for you to comply then don't take your gun.

I have owned multiple Motorhomes and travel trailers. I converse with a lot of people along the way. I have just heard too many stories from these people who were stopped for a tail light, searched, and either terribly inconvenienced and let go, or terribly inconvenienced and let go lighter by different amounts of cash.
I'm not basing my opinions on my own paranoia or personal thoughts. I'm basing it on quite a few stories I was told firsthand by people who lived them.
You must be old enough to know that most policemen have it in their minds when they stop you whether or not they're going to check you, cite you, or really give you a going over. And lots of times, it has to do with things like they're having a bad hair day or not getting any or a lot of things other than the actual situation at hand.
You can get clear. You can get off. You can get a clear record. Eventually. It just costs you a pretty good chunk of change.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Safety stops is something far more common in the east than the west. There is no vehicle safety inspection here in AZ in order to get license tags for instance. It's a rare day that a cop will pull someone over for bald tires, busted windshield etc. I have heard this is pretty common in the east.
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:15:21 -0700, "Steve B"

actually steve, you fit in well on this ng. you'll argue about anything. stick around.

Actually, guy, I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to make the point that there are literally millions of laws in lots of small towns all over the US, and none of us have the vast intellect and body of experience to know them all, or to keep current on them no matter how many trips we make to nra.org. Some will argue that they do, but then loose credibility when they can't even spell correctly. <g>
Steve

Here, tell me if this is spelt correctly screw you <g> gee, I thought it was you that said to drop it?

Actually Steve, again it is not that hard to find the information you say we "can't know" this is the site that I had refered too and if you take the time to read through it, you will see, as example, New York lists the over all state laws and then goes on to list the individual county laws. Now, is this to say that it is 100% complete or 100 accurate, I don't know, but if you were unable to find the info you need on here, I would say there is a problem with your eyes.
http://www.packing.org/state /
I knew you would find that site again. Thanks.
wrote

You're very welcome Ed. I hope that you and anyone else reading this thread with any interest and had the common sense to actually look at the link will find it useful. Contrary to what one pompous ass thinks, no where did I ever state that I knew EVERY law in EVERY jurisdiction, I simply stated as did a few others, that his claims of not being able to find the information is pure B.S.
Anyone smart enough to read the info on the link would plainly see that the info is broken down by states, and includes everything from what other states permits they honor, to travel requirements, to individual counties (again, which we have been told by Steve couldn't be known) additional laws.
Now please feel free to let me know what it is about my writings that you can not understand, as according to one self-righteous, pompous individual, I have an inability in writing, speaking, and communicating effectively. :)
wrote

Laws, courts, and police officers don't operate on an "I don't know" basis. Even if they're wrong, they'll take some sort of action. They don't accept "I don't know" as an answer either.
On the one hand, you say you researched the laws, you traveled the territory, you're certain about these things, yet then on the other hand say, "I don't know".
Which is it?
Steve
wrote

What the hell are you talking about? You obviously have a read and/or comprehension problem (again). My "I don't know" was directed at the site not the laws. You need to read more and jump less Steve, if you did, you have understood what was written.
wrote

Either that, or you need to be more concise in communicating your ideas.
As an example:
I just read:
You obviously have a read and/or comprehension problem (again).
I do not understand what a "read" problem is.
Until you can write in a manner that concisely conveys your thoughts, ideas, and positions, there is a small chance that I could continue to misconstrue what you write.
It is obvious that you are not going to do that any time soon, so I give up on you. You write as a sixth grader, and I just don't get what it is you are saying. This is just one example of your writing style, and I choose not to participate any longer.
Good luck in your life pursuits.
Now, say goodbye, Gracie.
Steve
With all due respect, Steve. One as intelligent as yourself should be able to use the context in which another writes to interpret what the other means. Because you are retired at 58, either you have been lucky, or smart and hard working enough, to amass sufficient wealth to retire at an early age. Personnally, I don't believe in luck, therefore, I assume you are an intelligent, hard worker.
You can stick to your argument that because another doesn't always use proper grammar, spelling and punctuation, you don't understand what the other is trying to convey, but I think you realize you have lost the debate based on logic, therefore you rely on the language barrier argument as a means to deny your logic is questionable.
Many positions in this tread have merit. Your's, "being ignorant of the law is no excuse for breaking the law," and "the internet is not a sufficient source of information (one which I concur with)" and other's "taking reasonable measures to stay within the intent of the law, even if falling outside of the letter of the law" are examples.
It occurs to me that one way to stay within the letter of the law is, prior to travelling through a jurisdiction, call them (I don't know of a jurisdiction which doesn't publish their contact information) and ask what are the current laws, or at least what are the changes to the law as of the last date one knew them to be.
Furthermore, your example of being forthright with all law enforcement personnel you encounter makes a lot of sense. I have been stopped for legitimate reasons, ranging from a burned out turn indicator, to speeding in excess of 25 MPH over the limit, to suspected DUI, and more often than not, I get a warning (and sometimes an explaination of the law I was violating) because I was courteous and honest with the cop. I wonder if some the stories others have told you included the whole truth.
wrote

Think what you will, Mr. H. I am just done with arguing with a twit who can't understand the fact that I don't believe that he knows every law in every burg and small town in the United States. Although he continues to assert that he does.
I cannot expect that he can assimilate or absorb the sites and cites, let alone the logic and discussions posted by myself or others if he cannot conduct basic conversational English in a relaxed atmosphere such as this forum. Any time anyone bests him, he launches into a childish profane rant.
I need not prove anything about myself to you or anyone else. I've had a rough and tumble life, been on many adventures, made and lost more than one fortune, made some brilliant moves, made some absolutely dumb moves, which brings me to the point I am today. I am retired, live very comfortably, and have enough to do so for the next hundred years at this pace. I spend different seasons in multiple states.
As for my forthrightness about my law enforcement experiences, and my truthfulness, again, I have no need to explain anything.
Let me just say that I pass very easily through multiple jurisdictions within the nearly two million people I live among because of my qualifications, certifications, commissions, and network associations. Plus, I do live 100% within the law, and that helps a lot. I do not fear being stopped by the authorities, and haven't been stopped in nine years. They either see my vehicular ID and don't stop me, or see my personal ID, and the stop is over with a quick ID check. Or a quick ticket, as was the case nine years ago when I bumped a guy who was riding in my blind spot with my motorhome. The guy sure was pissed that I knew the traffic officer, and that we were joking around while he was writing me a ticket. I guess he wanted the officer to beat me with his nightstick.
The officer said to me, "You know I have to scratch you." (write me a ticket), and the guy I hit insisted on an explanation on what that meant. The traffic officer politely explained, then asked the man to go sit in his car.
Life is good.
How's things in your neck of the woods?