guns on campus

Gun owners may be just as likely to be the intended victim of a crime, but according to the US dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, each year about 2 million crimes are prevented by an armed citizen. That's about

5 times more often than when guns are used in the commission of a crime. Of course, those numbers only reflect what is reported to law enforcement.
Reply to
Ed H.

Depends on what state. Anyone without a felony conviction can go buy one almost as easy as buying a beer at the local 7-11. Sales at gun shows may need to be looked into to see what can be done. I really don't know what the best solution is but currently its too easy for any idiot to easily and quickly obtain a gun. It's more difficult to get a drivers license than it is a gun.

Reply to
miles

Okay - so what more do you want done other than a background check? You claim it's too easy - what do you think will make things 'safer', without stepping on that pesky little annoyance that some of us like to refer to as the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution?

Bad analogy. Any idiot can go in and buy a car, as well. To use the driver's license comparison, you'd need to compare it to one obtaining a carry permit - which in the vast majority of the states that issue such a permit (imagine - not being allowed to operate a motor vehicle in a few states) a training course and competency test is required.... gee, just like is required for a driver's license.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Why don't we base the scenario on what gun-totin' AZpunkinhead just wrote in the _other_ gun thread?

"You're DAMN right if someone breaks into my house I am going to shoot them!! Why the f*ck would you feel other wise? You're right, it is not up to me to prove "he" was armed and that my life or that of my family was in danger. It is up to the "state pros" to prove that my life and/or that of my families WASN"T."

Let see, a thug breaks a window or door to get into my house, weapon in hand. I am in bed, pistol very near by (with in arms reach from laying in bed) and loaded as it always is, you HONESTLY think that I can not reach my pistol and be at ready to protect me and my family? You honestly think that I would not be awoken by noises and such around my house that are out of the norm? Damn man, are you that dense?

BTW, unlike a gun toting "thug" I am tried to engage a target and shoot for a kill. I am trained to do so under pressure, under extreme circumstances, and do it calmly and effectively. A feening dope head and/or your "common" thug most likely will not be able to do the same, so who do you think will come out alive if it came to it?"

Punkin is exactly the sort who will bolt out of bed firing at that shadowy "thug", then turn on the light and discover that he's just shot his own kid. I've read it before.

Reply to
Beryl

Its kept us from going into Pakastan and gettin Bin Laden.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Couldn't have been Budd, he didn't claim to be a victim, persicuted, or ridiculed!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Not really. With a car one needs to register and license it. Technically the same as a gun right? Thats where the similarity ends. If you fail to register and license a car it's very likely you'll get caught. Not so with a gun. It's easier to get a gun without anyone knowing you have it.

Reply to
miles

How about you come break into my house you trolling piece of shit, you would be well worth a .357 being spent. You know how about you stay the f*ck out of my dealings asshole.

Reply to
azwiley1

(Religious sermon deleted)

Hey, I thought it was Budd too. You're not alone.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Prove to me that even 1% of the lives lost have been due to the mistaken shooting of a family member rather than an unwanted intruder(s).

I want stats, genius, not your over-inflated banter.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Yeah, 16 years in the Army and all my years hunting and shooting taught me to just fire "blindly" at noise. First off stupid, my kid has a key and would not be breaking into the house. Secondly he also has a phone and would call vice breaking in, regardless of time. See jack off, my kid has common sense and manners, to bad we can't say the same for you.

Craig, I would not waste too much time with this troll. He is only here to strit shit up and cause trouble. He has been following me because of the spankings Sno* had been getting and was offended that some one would dare pick on his idol and lover.

Reply to
azwiley1

i'd have to second larry's comment. beryl is just trying to rile larry up. he just doesn't have the sense to do it very well. i don't think that beryl would know a gun from his ass. now, if he could kill you with a prissy comment.......well then you would be right to be worried.

Reply to
theguy

OK, throuw out real world numbers and substitute a hypothetical response to a hypothetical situation in order to support your prejusticed position. Shee's that's real smart. Are you in Congress?

Reply to
Ed H.

Yes, I remember the speech by GWB that claimed we would not make a distinction between the terrorist and those who harbor them.*

*except for nations that can defend themselves.

JAM

Reply to
Bill Dunkenfield

If a .357 Magnum would be your choice of weapons, then I think you are a clueless short dicked egghead. Clueless short dicked eggheads prefer large caliber pistols and lift kits on their trucks. You could kill someone a mile away with one of those rounds. They will definitely go through several layers of home construction.

There is nothing like a shotgun for home defense. And a pump, at that. Very reliable. Don't have to be very accurate. Just cocking it in the dark is enough to make a grown man wet themselves. The projectiles don't travel nearly as far as a regular bullet. But you knew that, right, Mr. Gun Expert?

Firing a .357 Magnum wildly, with other people in the house in unknown locations. Well, at least the chances are VERY GOOD that you will kill SOMEONE. And don't forget to get the extra capacity clip for the revolver.

I have the five shot S&W Stainless model with 2" barrel as a carry weapon. If you find the big clips, please let me know where, so I can buy one. And where can I get a REALLY big holster for that combo?

Steve ......... ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

"Ed H." wrote

Statistics can be found to support nearly any conclusion. Of course, the real world does it backwards, and uses statistics and facts to reach a conclusion.

But we're not dealing with that type of people here. Well, I mean there are only a few that are very far off plumb, and everyone knows who they are.

Although the people themselves don't have a clue.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

steve

don't mean this personally but if you wanna go off and sound like a big tough guy, at least chose a subject that you have some clue about what the f*ck you are talking about.

just saying man.

Reply to
theguy

What I like about a .357 magnum hand gun is you can load it with .38 Special ammo as well. If the first 2 round of .38 Special don't scare the intruder away, I know my life is in greater peril and I also have a better hold on the grip and a better control of my sight picture as well as situational awareness and the remaining 4 rounds of .357 magnum will be more effective.

If by "clip" you are refering to the devices that allow SA rounds to be used in revolvers then the following statement doesn't apply. But I think you don't know what you are talking about.

My father taught me a clip was used to reload a magazine, a magazine is used in a semi-automatic of fully-automatic firearms and persons firing a revolver may benefit from a speed loader, but I never heard of a clip for a revolver.

Reply to
Ed H.

"azwiley1" wrote

No, I believe you made my point much more eloquently than I ever could have.

Your knowledge of ballistics, safety, and anger management speak volumes about yourself.

Are you the next headline nut case in waiting?

I'll bet you got your ass kicked a lot as a kid, didn't you? Is that still happening a lot?

I don't wonder why.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And you're talking about what, in particular?

Please notice the smiley face at the end.

Anyone who would consider a .357 pistol as a home defense weapon obviously doesn't know a lot about ballistics.

Hint: the part about the clip for the revolver and the part about the holster for said combination was a joke, son.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B