GVWR 3500 MEGA VS QUAD CAB

And another thing. I see on the web site they are offering Self Dimming Rear-view mirror on the Quad/Mega Cabs. Now I fail to see why they are doing that. Mine has one, but the factory tint is so dark that the function does not even work. Maybe if I open the rear sliding windows at night then maybe it would.

I really do not see too many extended cabs these days that do not have tint.

Reply to
GeekBoy

The 3100 is from a scale, not under the best conditions but close. That was with my 2500 mega which I am looking to trade in on a one ton. I did check the individual axel weights Here are the specs for the 3500 mega: With 3.73 Axle Ratio You Can Tow 13050 lbs Gross Vehicle Weight Rating(GVWR)[i]=10500 Payload[i]=2675 Curb Weight[i]=7825 Curb WeightFront/Rear=4501/3324 GAWR[i]Front/Rear=4750/9350 Gross Combination Weight Rating(GCWR)[i]=21000 My trailer with horses is just under 15000, so my pin weight should be about 3000, so I am over the gvwr without putting any people in it.

Reply to
msteinmetz

yes because they dont make the BE any more that was a 2nd gen truck

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Is that with automatic or 6 speed? What about 4.11 rear end?

Reply to
GeekBoy

Unless I am mistaken....DC recommends that a plow is never to be installed on any Cummins powered model. I don't think this is a MegaCab only issue at all. I myself have been looking ral hard at getting one as soon as I sell my house...especially since i just sold my '01 2500 QC.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

You would be mistaken.

Cummins powered 4X4's standard cab and quad cab were and have been available with the HD snow plow prep group for quite a few years

Reply to
Roy

I find it odd that the rear axle can handle an additional 6,000 lbs but you hit the GVWR by loading 2,675 lbs on it. With only 249 lbs available to the front axle I can see why they don't want a plow on this model. You will likely be over the front axle rating just by putting 4 adults in the cab before you even hook the trailer.

Reply to
Nosey

Sounds like some SUV's. Overloaded when empty:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Auto, specs posted are for 3.73; 4.10 ups your towing to 15050 and gcwr to 23000

Reply to
msteinmetz

Auto, 4.10 provides 15050 towing, 23000gcwr

Reply to
msteinmetz

That explains it. With the 6 speed and 4.10 it jumps to 19xxxx lbs.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I've been asking this question for over a year and have not heard an explanation that makes sense except perhaps that the mega with short bed is going to have the pin further back than a long bed quad and dodge derates the GVWR to compensate. These trucks are otherwise identical with identical specs when equiped the same, save the 200 pounds additional mega curb weight over the QC long bed. A couple inches is cut off the mega frame end.

Reply to
Joe Kraven