halogen headlights

Page 1 of 2
I picked up some new headlights because the old ones had turned opaque. The bulbs sent with the headlights have a blue tinge and don't throw near enough light.
I need to find some good, bright, yellow halogen bulbs. What bulbs do you folks recommend? Ideally, I'd like to find something as bright (or brighter) than the typical Ford F150.
I run the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs in my truck and have never had a complaint. FYI white or blue light is brighter then yellow. Check out Sylvania's web site.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting /

azwiley1 wrote:

It's an illusion, white or blue doesn't mean brighter. I had Sylvania SilverStar bulbs for a while too. First I was impressed by the whiteness compared to standard bulbs, later by the *extremely* short life. Junk!
I went to WalMart hoping for GE Night Hawk, they had none, so I settled for Sylvania Xtravision.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html is worth reading.

You don't say what year or model truck you have. The 4-bulb "Sport" headlights were a great swap for my '01 Ram 1500, much nicer than the original 2-bulb setup.
General Dog wrote:

I use Sylvania Xtravision bulbs and headlight relays. Very big improvement over factory equipment. The relays made the most noticable difference. I found Daniel Stern's blue headlight article interesting. Where has he been anyway? He hasn't posted anything here in a long time.
Headlight relays: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
--
Ken

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:48:40 -0500, Nosey wrote:

Looks like a great read. Thanks!

I used some Sylvania Xtravision lights in my wife's '93 Ramchager. Remembering the '93 is "old tech" and uses the H 6054 lights. They were pretty good for a while but slowly, ever so slowly got dimmer and dimmer. Couldn't quite get a handle on what was wrong, even had the charging system checked. Finally took a long trip with a lot of night driving, it was almost like being blind, ran high beams all night got flashed once, it was probably someone behind me, can't remember. Anyway, got to our destination and I'm talking to my Dad about it and he says "bad ground", gotta be it, corrosion. Naw, we live in Texas, we're not sure what corrosion is. So we're sitting in the dining room looking at the front of several vehicles and it dawns on me, the lights in the Ram are dark, all the cars lights are bright looking. I've got spare lights in the truck in case one goes out so I decide to replace them. I get them out I'm holding one in my hands looking down on it and realize almost all the silvering is gone, I can see my hands through the light. They were both that way, I've NEVER seen silvering gone on a light except for junkyard excursions and only broken ones in really really old cars. I've never seen lights fail this way before. Now I'm back to GE lights in the older Rams.
So if you got this far you must have as much time on your hands as I do today :-)
Sorry to be so long winded today.

just because there's a deer near the highway or on it, doesn't mean you have to hit the poor thing mike!!
--
----------------------------
-Chris

Roy

Ahem!! Three fer three with the Marlin this year, and one fer one with the Dodge... and you were saying..... ?
;^)
Mike

Marlin?!? <gasp> Winchester all the way!!! <VBG>
Denny

Winchesters were fine firearms. My son has a sweet 9410 that he loves. Too bad they quit US production.
Mike

What's wrong with Marlin??? I wish I still had my old Marlin 444, I loved shooting that thing

Not a damned thing wrong with Marlin. I just like fucken with you guys..... Remember I'm sweet and innocent... <BG>
Denny

Look here Wabbit!! You want to be stuffed and on some ones mantel?

Is that a nice way of saying that NO ONE makes a mantel big enough for wide ride? <VFBG>

moldy $$$ out flowing again. Engineering consultants don't come cheap....
Denny

-Chris