hard on fuel

Page 2 of 3

Unless they blow a spark plug out of the head. I don't really understand what's going on to make it do that.

I haven't driven one since '00 or maybe 99, and there was enough turbo lag that spinning them accidentally wasn't much of a risk.

The FIRST car I ever drove, at 14 (around the block) was a 69 or 70 Hurst Olds. My mom's car was being worked on, and they gave it to us as a loner for a week. My dad told me to move it out of the driveway and park it along the curb, but I went around the block in it and then down to the end of the street and back to the house. I wanted that car really bad. When I was 16, my dad was very sick, so I didn't nag him about a car, but after he died, I found car after car I wanted, including my idiot cousin's 70 Roadrunner, that appeared to be better than showroom new at three years old. He was getting married, so he sold it. Without telling me it was going up for sale, even though he knew how badly I wanted it. One morning, this kid I went to school with comes into the parking lot, and I had a bad feeling. I asked him if he bought it from a little guy on so and so street, and he did. It had 15K on it, and was perfect.
I had saved enough money to buy anything I really wanted, but my mom had to sign the papers and she kept waiting too long, and they kept getting snatched up. I finally ordered a new 74 Roadrunner and I really wish I would have kept it. I stupidly traded it in on a 77 Dodge Power Wagon, the biggest POS ever built. Funny thing is, as much of a bastard as it was, I miss it too! I see one like it on Ebay once in a while and almost bought one about 6 months ago. I could have swung it. It probably needed a trans, but the engine looked ok and it had zero rust. I kick myself for not buying it, just as a "toy".

A friend of mine put about 1500 bucks into his Late 90's 318 Ram to get about 1.5 MPG, and a little more power for it. It's still a slug.

Yeah, but short wheels would sure be ugly..
BDK

says...

That was a problem that was corrected in the 03-04 truck. As I understand it the added more threads to the head .

only toy's and nothing more. I know a number of people that will buy a toy and become so anal about it that it ceases to be fun for them. Probably 'cause they couldn't afford it or bought to high.

Some people just dump money into it without thinking about what the want to accomplish. Falling for the latest and greatest mod. Or the best marketing job or bs performance claim. K$N come to mind here.

Yup, they would be ugly. Looks like ya gotta go with the r&p change. Have fun!
Roy

It must have been a very weak thread to pop on a non turbo/SC engine. But having seen the dreaded Pinto pointy bolts facing the fuel tank setup myself, nothing Ford does should shock me much.

Yep, I had a friend who bought a 71 Cutlass and threw shovel loads of $$$ into what was at best an only semi desirable car. Finally he got rid of it when offered a more than sane price by someone who had an identical car.

You too,,
BDK

Normally I would agree. Before my my Ram, my 2000- Dak suddenly dropped from 18 to 12 highway. When I inquired about it here, I got falmmed because "It's a damn truck! What did you expect!" I expect that something was wrong, which there was. My Ram is doing the same thing now, 19 to 13 on the highway. I know less bout diesels, this being my first one. I'm learning tho.

says...

You can get slammed any time for anything here. What was the solution to the dak's problem?
Regards the Ram Is that mt/towing? What year? What trans, rear's.
Roy
says...

it up and down? Are you using the overhead trip thingy or is that by the tankfull? More info?
Roy

consistantly. I check it at every fill-up. I thought it might be bad fuel around here at first, but when I travel to Denver for Reserve Duty, I get the same milage from different gas stations.
It stays around 13 on average. Sometimes down to 12, sometimes up to 14. All highway driving. I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be clogged by 40k miles, but DC supprises me sometimes. Regular maintenance. Found an AFE High flow air filter when I thought to check that. Swapped it for a new paper one. No effect in milage.
I don't feel any loss in power, and the truck still doesn't break speed or downshift when taking Colorado mountain passes.
Fuel filter is the next thing I would think to check. I'm at 53k miles on the engine now. I'll need to break out the service book and see if there is a maintenance I missed somewhere.
says...

Gotta tell ya, 40K is a long time for a fuel filter change on a Cummins imo.
but DC supprises me sometimes. Regular

You might want to tighten all the hose clamps on you intake system. Did you buy this truck new?
Roy

It had 30K when I bought it back in December. Looked at the Maint Schedule this morning. Calls for a change at 48k; Passed that milage up last month. Up to 53k now.
If 48k is too long, how often would you recommend changing that bad-boy out?
Jay (aka Twix)
says...

since you bought the truck? If the latter get hold of the previous owner and talk to him, ask what was done to the truck re modifications

I change mine at 15K at the most. To some that may be short but between shit fuel and lift pump issues I don't want to find myself on the side of the road in the middle of a snow storm.
Roy

tonight (if I ever get out of work while there's daylight). <G>

Roy I put in the new fuel filter and Milage rose to 15MPG for the first 3 tanks. Two tanks later and I'm down to 11MPG. Anything else you can think of to check before I take it to Chet the mini-moron Dodge tech? I think it may be running a little rich. There is a heavy diesel odor in the air when idling. Much more so than my father's or my friends.
says...

You changed the fuel filter and jumped up to 15mpg. I'd change the filter again and see what ya get. You may have a bunch of crap in the tank. What did the filter look like? Regards the smell of diesel, have you changed the air filter? Tighten all the clamps at inter cooler and turbo.
Roy

racially incorrect:-P). I'll pull it again and take a look tomorrow. Air filter has 5k on it, didn't look too bad. I've never played with the intercooler and turbo. Any tricks or pitfalls I need to be aware of or watch out for?

Nah, just check to see that all the hoses and clamps are tight.You may want to think about dropping the tank and having it cleaned if the filter is a mess again.

hours. I checked the turbo and intercooler connections while waitin on a buddy at work. They're tight. I did notice some red flaking around the top of the engine block. Radiator fluid. It looks as if there is a seal leaking. I'm guessing that if it's leaking out of the block, it could be leaking in causing the problem.
Your thoughts?

In regards to the dak, the problem was a clogged fuel filter (in the tank) and damaged pump as a result of a malicious act. Someone dumped a few gallons worth of gravel down the fill pipe with about a dozen raw eggs.
It took a jeep mechanic to think to check the tank for "contamination." According do Dodge dealers, nothing wrong on the computer. I asked a Jeep dealer to check fuel pressure at the rail on the engine block with a mechanical gauge because 5 Dodge dealers refused to do it. Sure enough, pressure was low.

Not to get into a pissin' contest with you but the word "sluggish" imo hardly describes the off the line performance of the 05 Cummins 610. I have one with 4:10's and it accelerates as well as a gas truck, to the point that being overly aggressive at times will spin the tires. Further on wet roads it is a pia with the factory tires, the wife has complained about the wheel spin in the wet.
Were you talking about the earlier Cummins powered trucks, I'd sorta agree with you. But with this one, I'm in no hurry to go for a fueling box or larger turbo or exhaust. Not that down the road I won't mess with it, but out of the box there is no real need, again imo. Anyway enjoy your hemi!
Roy
--WebTV-Mail-1596-1830 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
uhh...common sense here bud. any truck will spin the tires on a wet road. it doesnt take a dragster of a truck to do that!
--WebTV-Mail-1596-1830 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
http://www.angelfire.com/rock/cooper/skyline.gif "> </body> </html>
--WebTV-Mail-1596-1830--