Headers for an 86 Ramcharger

Hedman Headers references a set of ceramic headers that will fit the A-type engine for my year. (360 4bbl) How do I determine what the A-Type is and whether I have it. It does not seem to be VIN # related according to the VIN decoders I located via google for my year. Automatic transmission, maybe?

Reply to
redhornet

Your engine is considered an "A". The referenced headers will work fine.

Reply to
BigIronRam

You have the "LA" ( Low [deck] A) series engine and they will fit.

The "A" series engines were the early (1950's) Hemis and the Polyhead engines and the "LA" series includes the 273-318-340-360 engines, the 3.2-

3.6- 3.9 L Magnums and the 8L V-10.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Correction: that would be the 3.9-5.2 and 5.9 Magnum engines.

Sorry, lazy fingers.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Reply to
Bryan

It's "_LOW_ A" because the deck height was lowered, the Poly 318 was an "A" ( high deck engine) engine.

Other than that I'd like to know where the heck I was wrong as I said the same things as you and allpar and even corrected a typo.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I wasn't saying you were wrong -- I was just elaborating a bit about the various incarnations of the LA engine, and provided a link for the OP if he wishes to read more.

You could be correct about the origin of that LA stands for. It certainly makes sense, along the same thought as the B vs RB engines.

Bryan

Budd Cochran wrote:

Reply to
Bryan

"Low A" is Chrysler's definition for the acronym "LA" from the 1960's. If they don't know, then no one does. It can be found in Chrysler historical books from the period.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran