Headers for an 86 Ramcharger

Hedman Headers references a set of ceramic headers that will fit the A-type engine for my year. (360 4bbl) How do I determine what the A-Type is and whether I have it. It does not seem to be VIN # related
according to the VIN decoders I located via google for my year. Automatic transmission, maybe?

Your engine is considered an "A". The referenced headers will work fine.
You have the "LA" ( Low [deck] A) series engine and they will fit.
The "A" series engines were the early (1950's) Hemis and the Polyhead engines and the "LA" series includes the 273-318-340-360 engines, the 3.2- 3.6- 3.9 L Magnums and the 8L V-10.
Budd

I've also heard these engines called "Lightweight A" engines but, I've always known them as "Late A" engines... can't cite any authority about that from MoPar. In any case, the LA engine started in '64 with the 273, the 318 became an LA engine in '67, the 340 was added in '68, and the 360 in '71. The last one was made for '02 model years. More detailed info is here: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/318.html
Bryan
Budd Cochran wrote:

It's "_LOW_ A" because the deck height was lowered, the Poly 318 was an "A" ( high deck engine) engine.
Other than that I'd like to know where the heck I was wrong as I said the same things as you and allpar and even corrected a typo.
Budd

I wasn't saying you were wrong -- I was just elaborating a bit about the various incarnations of the LA engine, and provided a link for the OP if he wishes to read more.
You could be correct about the origin of that LA stands for. It certainly makes sense, along the same thought as the B vs RB engines.
Bryan
Budd Cochran wrote:

"A"
'71.
"Low A" is Chrysler's definition for the acronym "LA" from the 1960's. If they don't know, then no one does. It can be found in Chrysler historical books from the period.
Budd

Correction: that would be the 3.9-5.2 and 5.9 Magnum engines.
Sorry, lazy fingers.
Budd