Headlamps for 2001 Dakota?

Page 2 of 4
wrote:

No way!! Your under the bus!!
No cookies for you!<BFG>

Have the lenses started to turn yellow and hazy?? If so, there is a polishing kit that I got from Advance auto that works great. Chuck it up in a cordless drill, use the three different grits of sandpaper and then the polish. Works great. Then install some Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. My ole truck went from being borderline unsafe to drive at night to a real pleasure to drive.
Your welcome. Now send me some cookies while ole Roy is on the road!!
Denny
I'll second the vote on the Silverstars! They are quite good, but pricey though. I've got the Silverstar Ultra's in the ol' Ram... along with the heated leather seats!
;^)
Mike

Real trucks don't have heated leather bun warmers!!! <BG>
Denny

Real trucks don't have heated leather bun warmers!!! <BG>
Denny
Oh, great!! I came out of retirement for this shit agin'
;^)
Mike

Hi Mike, how ya been?
Regards the seat warmers "wide ride" is bustn' your chops about. You have to remember how large a seat it would require to heat his buns. Probably also need a donkey for the gen to get up enough juice to power the warmers. <G>
Roy

Absolutely true. Want the seats warmed, you tell yer woman to go out and sit for a while...
Sadly I've never experienced warm seats...

Absolutely true. Want the seats warmed, you tell yer woman to go out and sit for a while...
Gasp... I ain't got enough hair growing anywhere to tell my wife to do that......
Denny

Absolutely true. Want the seats warmed, you tell yer woman to go out and sit for a while...
Gasp... I ain't got enough hair growing anywhere to tell my wife to do that......
Denny
You beat me to it.
Kim would kick yer ass!! <G>
Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (12/5/2009 2:31 PM):

Yea, and I'd pay good money for tickets to watch you try!
:-D
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, Mike Simmons exclaimed (12/5/2009 11:42 AM):

Mike! Hi!
Funny, I'd never heard of the Silverstars before starting this research, and just now was watching a commercial on TV for them.
And, I'm gonna go with Mike on the heated seats. Warm buns are always better than cold ones!
jmc
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 22:45:38 -0500, jmc

I have them no one of my H1s, and they are about 50% brighter according to my meter. I really like them overall, and good life so far (about 3 to 4 years).

Remote starter, warm the whole thing... And one stays out of trouble *much* longer.

beekeep

just like a bad penny.... as it were...
;^)
Mike

Are you sure it's the bulbs?
I have a 99 Dakota, and the lenses are very cloudy, and need to be either cleaned (using the special re-surfacing kits) or replaced.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Nope, they don't seem cloudy, at least when they're clean :)
jmc
Keep us up, did you go for bulbs? I feel kinda same as you, brights are OK, dim are too dim on my 4x4 (2000 version).

Suddenly, without warning, Plowboy7 exclaimed (11/30/2009 8:41 PM):

Nothing yet, need to get near an auto store or two and see what they have. Also need some time to actually look at my lenses closely and see if they need to be polished. They don't *seem* to be but I want to look again. I only seem to remember when it's dark out though :)
jmc
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (11/30/2009 9:48 PM):

Had a look. They seem fine. It's possible it's the wiring, since the British laws required certain lights to be certain colors, which required creative rewiring. Stupid British mechanic didn't bother to do a good job putting them back the way they should be - knew I was leaving the country. I had to get some wiring on my taillights replaced, it's possible that's the problem here too.
jmc

It's also possible that it's a bad earth (ground) issue as well, as a couple of ohms across an earth connection makes a huge difference to a bulb that draws a higher current, and your headlamp bulbs will draw roughly 4.6amps each, whereas a sidelamp marker bulb will probably only draw around 0.4amp. On Landrover Defenders, the single biggest improvement that can be made to the headlamps is a new power feed and relays, there is so much volt drop through the original wiring harness! Check with a voltmeter, with the engine running, that you are actually getting full battery voltage to the bulbs - a drop of just a volt makes a huge difference here.
For what it's worth, not all British mechanics are stupid or don't bother - some of us take a pride in our workmanship. Anyway, it wouldn't be an issue if you lot didn't try to make a brake light or side marker light work as an indicator at the same time, lol. On my Ram 2500, whoever imported it re-wired the rear lamp clusters so that I have orange bulbs fitted to what would have been the reversing lights, to act as indicators (which they do very well), but they stuck a single white light under the bumper for a reversing light (and a red to the offside as a rear fog lamp - mandatory in the UK) but the reversing light is useless! I now have twin 55watt floods on the roll bar pointing rearwards! Badger.

G'morning, Jodi. Badger makes a good point with the voltage issue. Daniel Stern has been around for awhile and explains it at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html fairly well. He also sells kits to improve the lighting system. Might be a solve for your dim headlights.
FMB (North Mexico)