Heater/A.C. question

Page 1 of 5
A friend has an 86 Dodge Ramchager 4X4 (360, quadraflood, 727, 208 T-case) with A.C. (which has been drained at some time in the past) and I'm trying
to sort out the probs with the heater vacuum controls: it doesn't switch from AC vents to heat or defrost vents
Where does the HVAC sytem pick up the vacuum for operation? I want to connect a hand pump on it so I can listen for leaks.
She lives at 9000 ft (Florissant CO) and will certainly need the heater working this winter.
Thanks!
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

How many miles on it?
JAM

Unknown ... odometer broken but speedometer works.
Estimate based on wear and tear, over 100,000 miles.
I don't understand why you need the info on mileage. All I need is where the vacuum is sourced for the HVAC so I can maunally pump it and listen for doors operating or not.
Budd
Bud Citron wrote:

It may be that you have insufficient vacuum because the motor is worn out. If you do not find any leak this may be the problem.
JAM
JAM
Frank Galikanokus wrote:

Cool. How fast can it go?

It's the altitude. The vehicle meeds to be returned to sea level.

You're not a mechanic, are you?
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

Yes, FAA Certificated.
On 8/27/2011 1:17 AM, Beryl wrote:

Doesn't say much for "FAA Certified" mechanics, does it? BTW, what is "Certificated" anyway?
--
I'm never going to grow up.

PeterD wrote:

"Certificated" means the FAA has issued me a certificate. Hardware is Certified, people are Certificated. Get it?
Beryl wrote:

Nothing else you want to say, Petey? Doesn't say much for Petey, does it? Petey, what are "FAA Certified" mechanics anyway?
On 8/31/2011 12:22 AM, Clown Happy Bones wrote:

Well, from the FAA site (http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/faq /):
"Do I need any experience to become a certified mechanic? Yes. You can get the required experience through civilian or military on-the-job training, or by attending a special school for aircraft mechanics.
Do I have to take any tests to become a certified mechanic? Yes. You have to take both oral and practical tests. There is a fee for the test. The oral and practical tests cover 43 technical subjects. Typically tests for one certificate--airframe or power plant--takes about 8 hours. "
Since the FAA uses the term 'certified mechanic' one can presume that that is the correct usage, and not the term 'certificated mechanic' a term that the FAA does NOT use.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

PeterD wrote:

That is dumbed-down for the general public, like you. Remember how you were confused by "certificated", as if it weren't in the English language?
Look at this: "Do I need a license to be an aircraft mechanic? Not necessarily." License? They use the word "certificate" all over the place, but ease the reader into the topic by first using "license" because that's the word everyone's comfortable with.
And this: "Do I have to take any tests to become a certified mechanic? Yes. You have to take both oral and practical tests." Hmm, they forgot the WRITTEN test! You need to pass that before an Examiner will even waste his time on you with the Oral and Practical.
The FAA themselves used "FAR" forever to refer to "Federal Aviation Regulation". That's what everyone in aviation learned, and knew. I think the FAA finally lost an enforcement action in court when a clever lawyer realized that FARs don't, and never, existed. Now they're "CFR"s, Code of Federal Regulations.
PeterD wrote:

My September issue of AOPA Pilot came yesterday. HANGARTALK, Page 6...
Regular readers may have picked up on the fact that Managing Editor Julie Summers Walker is not a certificated pilot.
PeterD wrote:

You realize that the Q&A format on that page presents typical questions from regular folks, right? No specialized knowledge required to ask questions, because the readers obviously aren't up to it yet.

I'll show you the term "certificated mechanic" used by the FAA.
Begin here: <http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/faa_regulations/
A link labeled *Current Federal Aviation Regulations* goes to <http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c fr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl> Click it.
Next, in the "Browse Part" column, click the link labeled *60-109* and you'll arrive at <http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sido5e6995ca47554a8680aae742591d56&c fr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl>
Now click the link labeled *65* in the "Part" column. You'll arrive at <http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c fr&sido5e6995ca47554a8680aae742591d56&rgn=div5&view=text&node:2.0.1.1.4&idno>
Scroll down to "Subpart D---Mechanics", click that link. Read 65.71 Eligibility Requirements: General (b)"A certificated mechanic who applies for an additional rating must meet the requirements of 65.77 and, within a period of 24 months, pass the tests prescribed by 65.75 and 65.79 for the additional rating sought."
On 8/31/2011 3:27 PM, Clown Happy Bones wrote:

<http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c fr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl>
<http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sido5e6995ca47554a8680aae742591d56&c fr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl>
<http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c fr&sido5e6995ca47554a8680aae742591d56&rgn=div5&view=text&node:2.0.1.1.4&idno>
You may want to ask someone skilled in the English for clarify that for you.
--
I'm never going to grow up.

PeterD wrote:

That was hilarious! Budd help you with it?
wrote in message

No dog in this fight but based on your comments I'm glade you're not working anywhere near my bird.
NotMe wrote:

Based on your comments, I doubt you even understood my comments.
Aircraft that operate in the flight levels use positive pressure air pumps to power their gyro instruments, NOT vacuum pumps. You don't know why, do you?
Most small airplanes use vacuum pumps to power gyro instruments, NOT positive pressure pumps. You don't know why, do you?
wrote in message

I have absolutely no clue.
Hint: Long/sort I'm a retired engineer that at one time worked for NASA. Where I managed system design for navigation, instrumentation and flight systems.
None of that matters as like I said based strictly on what you've posed I'm very happy you're not working on my bird.
NotMe wrote:

WOW. My questions should be *extremely* easy for someone with your background, they're within your field of expertise. But you have absolutely no clue.

But it does matter. How would you ever choose a mechanic? What's important to you?