Heater/A.C. question

Page 3 of 5
Budd Cochran wrote:

Well, I did what I could. Never got much assistance either. So don't complain that it wasn't enough.

It's amazing how a question pertaining to a vacumn diagram transformed into a pissing contest over aircraft systems with everybody calling everybody else (a couple of posters excluded) morons. No wonder this group died a painful death.
Budd... did you find your problem?? e-mail me if you need. I don't check this group very often as you can tell.
Denny
I think I got it figured out, Denny.
Apparently, the idiot that worked on the Ramcharger last time screwed up the vacuum system up quite well, so I have to find a manifold vacuum source and use it to feed the vacuum motors for the heater/defroster/ AC doors.
But if you have a diagram, email it to me.
Budd

Budd, pissing contest, what'a not to like?
Did Budd ask a question and expect an inteligent answer? After all don't all vacumn lines start at the air intake manifold? And of those, how many go through the firewall?
What I found amazing is that a clown figured out Budd in one thread!
beekeep

You are the same as you've ever been.
Actually, I did expect some good advice from one or more of the old gang because I've not had to work on an AC control system on a D/W series truck and so I didn't know the vacuum routing.
But as is usual for you, you give no help at all and just add to the argument.
Typical Beekeeper all the way.
Budd

Now your a bigot against beekeepers as well?
Typical Christian.
beekeep - keeping bees, not working on some skank's old POS truck trying to get a little on the side.

Yes, I try to be a typical Christian, helping others instead of calling people names I don't even know and accusing people I know only from this group of things I would do.
Remember, Beekeeper, you were one of those that assumed I was going to "start preaching" when I came back ... and you've been wrong ... again.
Budd
Budd Xtian Hypocrite Cochran:

I remember a new guy dropped in to ask about improving the gas mileage of his Dakota V6. Yeah, the V6 engine, which you didn't personally like. What king of welcome was extended to the newcomer? It went like...
'I don't know who is stupider. You for buying a V6 and expecting it to run like a hot rod, or me for answering your question.'
That was your reply.

First off, I never said I didn't like the V-6. Actually, it's an excellent engine ... for what it's capable of doing.
I've even considered the early carbureted version as a swap for the AMC 4.0 in my 88 Cherokee. The 318 the V-6 is based on was a much better engine that the redesign forced on the AMC 258 to make the 4.0.
Secondly, he was wanting the V-6 to run like a bigger V-8 in a heavy truck, get outrageous mpg and I didn't realize it fully until that point.
But you did show who was stupider ... you. By being so juvenile as to drag that up even though you have been far worse in just this thread alone.
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

No he wasn't.

He said no such thing.
and I didn't realize it fully until that point.
Until what point?
It was years back, and you're only pretending to remember. It stuck in my mind because you were astonishingly rude to the guy. My opinion of you was fully formed that day.

Actually, it was just such an instance and I was simply my usual non-politically correct self. If you don't like it, too bad.
I understod the OP to want better that performance modded V-8 results from a V-6 .. sheer stupidity on his part, just you are demonstrating your own low social IQ by trying to use it against me.
Hmm, you must have been hiding under an different screen name back then as well.
The nice thing about not using one is I don't have to remember which one I use where.
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

Actually, "until that point" was the opening sentence of your reply. He posted once, asking nothing at all about hot-rodding the V6, and nothing about how much he hoped to improve the mpg.
You're lying.

This place has been very quiet for a couple of years now. But there just something about a stupid clown that gets people excited. You've got this place jumping again. I can't "add" to the argument if someone doesn't start one.

I've been around here a long long time and I can't think of a single time that you "helped" anyone. Generally you are too busy puffing up your chest and struting around posting shit totally off tangent from the subject trying to impress others of what a great wealth of knowlege you are. Unfortunately most of us that come here can read and interpet what we read and you emerge as what you are.

I didn't assume that you were going to start preaching but when I first read your stupid question I did say to myself "The locals are going to have some fun with this one." I will assume that after you get you feelings hurt and run away from here again, as you have done many times in the past, that when you come back you will post another stupid question. As the old saying goes, beauty fades but stupid is forever.
If Twain were around today and read any of your posts he would probably write "It is better to not post at all and be thought a fool than it is to post and remove all doubt."

Then your memory is failing. Or have you forgotten my expertise on older, pre fuel injection, Mopar engines?

One thing is certain, Beekeeper, I never called any of your friends names that have never posted in this group.
As for my supposed "leavings and returnings" you also fail to remember there were several changes in ISP's during that time ... new provider = new screen name because the old couldn't drop the username so I could use it with the new ISP, a move from CO to UT and back.
And if that bothers you so much, get over it and grow up. It happens whether you like it or not and may happen again as I'm looking into a cheaper DSL provider.
Budd

Wrong. Your prize is behind the door marked "EXIT".

Magnetos still have to be timed correctly for correct tune or to compensate for altitude. Yeah, I've worked on mags from Briggs Stratton to Wisconsin V-4's. And on aircraft reciprocating engines both mags have to be correctly timed. (ya see, I found a 1970's A&P training manual a long time ago and I cn reed gud. I even considered going for my own A&P cert back then)

Ah, darn. you missed the answer again since your grey matter is lost in the clouds (or outer space) ... as if an FAA cert means anything in a Dodge truck group.
Your second prize is behind the other door marked "FIRE EXIT" ... I wonder if they've fixed the ladder yet . . . . . . . . .
The correct answer is: an automotive reciprocating gasoline engine can run more initial advance at higher altitudes to compensate for loss of power due to the altitude.
Example: The Ramcharger I mentioned had the timing set at 12 BTDC here at 5400 feet altitude and you had a small trace of "kickback" during cranking, but at the 9000 feet the lady lives at it cranks smoothly and runs better than her neighbor's 85 Ramcharger (same drivetrain) that was tuned to factory specs.
Since she rarely comes down to my altitude, the timing will work best for her for performance and economy.
Hey, Beryl, if you really have an FAA cert then you have a certificate number issued that you have to put on every repair you do.
What is it? Refuse to give it and we'll assume you are a outright liar ... you've already proved you're certainly no automotive mechanic.
And, FYI, I've been in and out of this group since the last millenium, Beryl, look at my email address: mr_ d150 (for the D-150 pickups) and I've owned mostly Mopars since 1967. I repaired my first engine in 1961 at age 14.
I've also been a small engine and heavy equipment mechanic with automotive repairs done for the fun of it.
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

Nope, piston airplanes fly over a wide range of altitudes, and their magnetos do not need to be retimed to compensate for altitude as they climb or descend. You won't find a spark timing control on the instrument panel.

That is not an answer to your question. You're far to sloppy to ever pass an FAA knowledge test. It may seem cruel to you, but many multiple-choice questions are written to weed out people like yourself.
Altitude doesn't affect engine timing. If it was 10* BTDC when you left Orlando, and you arrive at Leadville and check it again, it's still 10* BTDC.
wrote in message

I never said there was one, the magneto will still need to be timed.

Why does aviation gasoline have higher knock resistance than automotive gasoline?
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

Didn't you just finish saying that magnetos have to be timed to compensate for altitude? So, without a knob on the dashboard, the pilot climbs out on the hood wuth his tools. Right?

I don't know, Budd, why?

If a plane is known to never go above or below a certion altitude range, for optimum performance you would set the timing.

And you claim to be certified? I'm just an old shade tree wrench twister and I know.
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

It never goes over 15,000 feet, and never goes below sea level. Now tell me about setting the timing to compensate for altitude.

Nope.
I'm waiting...
Beryl wrote:

Be REAL careful with this one, Budd! Precision and accuracy count.
You're so consistently stupid that I'm already going to say you're wrong.