Heater/A.C. question

So, I told you, in your alter-ego, that you didn't give useful info. It's interesting you have to put on your red stuporman towel/cape to attempt to engage in a battle of wits . . . . . . . . .

You need is to realize the world doesn't revolve around you, nor does it revolve around me.

If you had given good info, I would have listened, but you didn't, then YOU got snotty about it when told you didn't help any. I musta hurt your itty bitty feelings.

Hey, if you're so smart, how does altitude affect engine timing?

I know that several here do know the answer. Now, do you?

You get one guess.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

The answer is PeterD. I knew you wouldn't say it.

Magnetos have fixed timing. Turbines don't have timing.

Reply to
Beryl

It's amazing how a question pertaining to a vacumn diagram transformed into a pissing contest over aircraft systems with everybody calling everybody else (a couple of posters excluded) morons. No wonder this group died a painful death.

Budd... did you find your problem?? e-mail me if you need. I don't check this group very often as you can tell.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Maybe Denny knows.

I never thought it was so painful.

Budd's a moron.

Reply to
Beryl

It's amazing how a question pertaining to a vacumn diagram transformed into a pissing contest over aircraft systems with everybody calling everybody else (a couple of posters excluded) morons. No wonder this group died a painful death.

Budd... did you find your problem?? e-mail me if you need. I don't check this group very often as you can tell.

Denny

I think I got it figured out, Denny.

Apparently, the idiot that worked on the Ramcharger last time screwed up the vacuum system up quite well, so I have to find a manifold vacuum source and use it to feed the vacuum motors for the heater/defroster/ AC doors.

But if you have a diagram, email it to me.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Wrong. Your prize is behind the door marked "EXIT".

Magnetos still have to be timed correctly for correct tune or to compensate for altitude. Yeah, I've worked on mags from Briggs Stratton to Wisconsin V-4's. And on aircraft reciprocating engines both mags have to be correctly timed. (ya see, I found a 1970's A&P training manual a long time ago and I cn reed gud. I even considered going for my own A&P cert back then)

Ah, darn. you missed the answer again since your grey matter is lost in the clouds (or outer space) ... as if an FAA cert means anything in a Dodge truck group.

Your second prize is behind the other door marked "FIRE EXIT" ... I wonder if they've fixed the ladder yet . . . . . . . . .

The correct answer is: an automotive reciprocating gasoline engine can run more initial advance at higher altitudes to compensate for loss of power due to the altitude.

Example: The Ramcharger I mentioned had the timing set at 12 BTDC here at

5400 feet altitude and you had a small trace of "kickback" during cranking, but at the 9000 feet the lady lives at it cranks smoothly and runs better than her neighbor's 85 Ramcharger (same drivetrain) that was tuned to factory specs.

Since she rarely comes down to my altitude, the timing will work best for her for performance and economy.

Hey, Beryl, if you really have an FAA cert then you have a certificate number issued that you have to put on every repair you do.

What is it? Refuse to give it and we'll assume you are a outright liar ... you've already proved you're certainly no automotive mechanic.

And, FYI, I've been in and out of this group since the last millenium, Beryl, look at my email address: mr_ d150 (for the D-150 pickups) and I've owned mostly Mopars since 1967. I repaired my first engine in 1961 at age

  1. I've also been a small engine and heavy equipment mechanic with automotive repairs done for the fun of it.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, since Denny is a real "mechanic" and ran a modified Kohler in garden tractor pulls, I'm sure he does or has at least heard of it.

IMHO, it was trolls like yourself that killed the group. Just after the Millenium, this was a great group for info and fun.

"Better a moron with common sense than a genius that hasn't the sense to stay away from danger." (Budd Cochran, 9-2-11)

Reply to
Budd Cochran

What you liked about the old days, what made this a fun-filled place, was that YOU were one of the trolls. That's right, the group regulars, the a.a.d.t. homies, were the trolls.

I am very pleased to have played a minor role in killing this group.

Reply to
Beryl

Nope, piston airplanes fly over a wide range of altitudes, and their magnetos do not need to be retimed to compensate for altitude as they climb or descend. You won't find a spark timing control on the instrument panel.

That is not an answer to your question. You're far to sloppy to ever pass an FAA knowledge test. It may seem cruel to you, but many multiple-choice questions are written to weed out people like yourself.

Altitude doesn't affect engine timing. If it was 10* BTDC when you left Orlando, and you arrive at Leadville and check it again, it's still 10* BTDC.

Reply to
Beryl

Budd, pissing contest, what'a not to like?

Did Budd ask a question and expect an inteligent answer? After all don't all vacumn lines start at the air intake manifold? And of those, how many go through the firewall?

What I found amazing is that a clown figured out Budd in one thread!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

You are the same as you've ever been.

Actually, I did expect some good advice from one or more of the old gang because I've not had to work on an AC control system on a D/W series truck and so I didn't know the vacuum routing.

But as is usual for you, you give no help at all and just add to the argument.

Typical Beekeeper all the way.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And that says nothing good about you.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I never said there was one, the magneto will still need to be timed.

Why does aviation gasoline have higher knock resistance than automotive gasoline?

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And still no proof you have an FAA cert . . . . .

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, I did what I could. Never got much assistance either. So don't complain that it wasn't enough.

Reply to
Beryl

Didn't you just finish saying that magnetos have to be timed to compensate for altitude? So, without a knob on the dashboard, the pilot climbs out on the hood wuth his tools. Right?

I don't know, Budd, why?

Reply to
Beryl

Now your a bigot against beekeepers as well?

Typical Christian.

beekeep - keeping bees, not working on some s**nk's old POS truck trying to get a little on the side.

Reply to
beekeep

Yes, I try to be a typical Christian, helping others instead of calling people names I don't even know and accusing people I know only from this group of things I would do.

Remember, Beekeeper, you were one of those that assumed I was going to "start preaching" when I came back ... and you've been wrong ... again.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

If a plane is known to never go above or below a certion altitude range, for optimum performance you would set the timing.

And you claim to be certified? I'm just an old shade tree wrench twister and I know.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Budd Xtian Hypocrite Cochran:

I remember a new guy dropped in to ask about improving the gas mileage of his Dakota V6. Yeah, the V6 engine, which you didn't personally like. What king of welcome was extended to the newcomer? It went like...

'I don't know who is stupider. You for buying a V6 and expecting it to run like a hot rod, or me for answering your question.'

That was your reply.

Reply to
Beryl