heater/AC blower

I have become really confused over this problem. The heater blower in my

93 Dakota quit this past weekend. Just before it quit, I smelled burning plastic/rubber in the cab. I figured the fan just burned up.

So, I replaced the fan. Didn't fix the problem.

Checked the fuse...fuse was fine...replaced anyway.

Replaced the blower switch in the dash....STILL didn't fix the problem?

Any ideas what to do next?

I was reading somewhere about "fusable links". Could this be the problem? If so, where the heck are they located.

Thanks

Reply to
copperhead

You probably cooked the resistor block. I don't know where it is on the Dakota, probably near the glove compartment. Just follow the wires from the switch (sounds easier than it is) and check it for damage. Chances are if you smelled plastic, this is the cause and there is a good chance its failure will be fairly obvious.

Reply to
TBone

this applies to my 95 so if i miss.....

the resistor block is under the hood on the passenger side fire wall, standing at the front look just to the left of the ac accumalator. 2 sheet metal screws hold it in place..

Reply to
Billy

Thanks guys. That was the problem. I replaced the resister block (located on the left side of the fire wall near the AC). A new one only cost $9.35.....what a nice suprise!

Thanks again.

Reply to
copperhead

Stop trying to fix your car yourself, you seam to have no aptitude for it.

JAM

Reply to
Johnny Thunders

Is this a joke? I had the exact same problem with my 93 Dakota about 5 years ago. I was about to replace the fan myself just like copperhead. I posted on here, and luckily someone posted the solution. Believe you/me I have the aptitude.

Reply to
Xclimation

t bone, just curious, are you the t bone from arizona?

Reply to
thenewguy

There is a difference between changing parts until you hit the right one and troubleshooting to find the fault.

JAM

Reply to
Johnny Thunders

Reply to
Xclimation

If you don't know what you are doing asking for help is a good FIRST step.

I spent five minutes with a volt meter then changed the defective $10 part.

Changing parts until you hit the bad one is a luxury only a factory trained technician can afford.

JAM

Reply to
Johnny Thunders

Reply to
mr burns

and you assume that they dont have to answer for the parts the "throw" at a car?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson