Heater Core? 2000 Dakota

Over the past couple of days I have noticed a slight antifreeze odor when running the defroster or heater. No leakage on the floor. The reservoir was low but not empty. The last time it was added to was a couple of years ago when the water pump was replaced.( second replacement by dealer)

Is it possible that the pump may be going again and the odor is coming in from under the hood? Has the heater core been an issue? How much can I expect to pay to have the heater core replaced by the local dealer?

Thanks for any info.

Wayne - 00 Dakota QC 4.7 Auto, 4WD

Reply to
CigarSki

It's not a bad job on my old dodge van but I hear it's a bitch on the Dakota, like the whole dash has to be disasembled.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Certainly possible... you may be pulling air in from the fresh air vents. Run the heater in recirc mode, and see if you still smell it. If you do, then it's most likely a leaking heater core.

Not especially, but some do go bad.

Unfortunately, lots... probably upwards of $1,000. You're looking at an evac/recharge of the A/C, the cost of the core itself (dealership gets about $150 for these), and probably around 5 hours labor, as the entire instrument panel needs to be removed.

I'd try a radiator stop-leak product first, especially if it's a small leak (and since you don't see any coolant dripping out of the floor vents, it probably is).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for the replies, gents.

I looked at alldata and it's more than I want to get involved in right now. (live in a condo, no garage). I'll be dropping it off at the dealer tonight.

Thanks for the advice on using Barrs. If it was a beater, I'd consider it. Don't want to take a chance at causing other problems.

Gotta ride the motorcycle for a few days. It just got cold here in South Jersey, too.

Wayne

Reply to
CigarSki