heater core leak

2000 dodge ram 360 4x4
I am getting a antifreeze smell when I run the fan with the heater on. I am not detecting any leaks, and the coolant is topped off. I am guessing there
is a pinhole leak in the heatercore or hose somwhere around it? my garage floor is dry, no drips anywhere.
when the fan is OFF and the heater knob is turned ON, in the cold morning I can see mist come up slowly out of the 2 middle vents on the way to work. not steam, just looks like hot vaporized coolant.
any ideas the best way to proceed in fixing? should I start removing the dash and get to the heater core for a visual or is there something else I can do? just need some encouraging words here, thanks in advance.
ed

Unfortunately, there's no encouraging words to give... you do in fact have a leaking heater core, and it will need to be replaced. It's a fairly labor-intensive job to do, as well. The dash needs to come out (at least partially, and I'm talking the entire dash - not just a trim panel), the A/C needs to be recovered, the cooling system drained, the HVAC box removed from the firewall, separated, core replaced, and everything put back together.
Most shops charge $800-$1000 for this.

many people do not. If it acidic this will cause premature core failure along with bunch of other stuff because it is eating the engine from the inside out. I have found that the extended antifreeze although will protect from freezing and boil over seldom can be used past two years due to the Ph. Coasty
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:56:28 -0500, "Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote:

Couldn't he try some radiator stop-leak?
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:03:54 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

your a/c evaporator coil will also fail shortly. Chrysler has had this problem at least back to '97 models (personal experience, Jeep). They didn't manage to correct it as of 2001 (personal experience, Dodge Ram). I would guess that they still haven't corrected it. A thousand bucks+ for a long term (well known) quality defect is a pretty tough hit on an older vehicle. I presently own my very last Chrysler product and my last Mercury Marine product (another story).

EDTHEWARD wrote:

Ground black pepper
http://www.barsproducts.com/product.cfm?idC
JAM