heavy bumpers - 2008 cummins/ram

do the 2008 rams suffer the same shortened front end life from heavy bumpers that previous models did, or was the front end beefed up to support the weight of the 6.7? thanks, Nathan In Montana

Nathan W. Collier

I never heard of any such thing.

The manual clearly includes instructions for putting on attachments for snow plows and does not mention anything about such warnings.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Reply to
MoParMaN

Nate, I've had snow plows that weigh around 900 pounds hanging a couple of feet ahead of the front bumper with no problems.

Reply to
Roy

There is always going to be a percentage of folks that have front end problems, and if you have a forum for chatting about problems, you will read about a lot of problems. Not too many forums about good front ends to see how many have not had issues.

I only have ~130,000 on my '03 2500 CTD with about 25k of that towing the

5th. I've replaced two front U-Joints around 40-50k miles ago. If you read the forums, everyone is getting new upper and lower ball joints at 30-50k miles. Not me, and I can't explain it. I don't 'baby' my rig. Maybe its cause I only rotate my tires once, and only after towing the 5th for 10k miles straight. Tires have great even wear when I'm done with them.

Check out

for the latest thread on front ends. FMB (North Mexico)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
FMB

I remember the conversation about the bumpers a while back. And where the concern was with the intention of using a large slide in camper AND the heavy bumper possibly exceeding the FAWR (Front Axle Weight Rating) of the truck. I forget who expressed the concern maybe Tom L?? Anyway With just the raptor and no slide in over hang to deal with, I see no reason for concern with a "Buck Stop" bumper or what ever manufacturer you choose Nate.

Reply to
Christopher D. Thompson

It's the megacabs that have (had?) the front axle issue.

Reply to
Nosey

Yup, the first ones could not handle a snow plow. I don't know if that is still the case.

Roy

Reply to
Roy