HELP!!!! Advice needed on new truck purchase!!

Time is of the essence! Yesterday we went out to do laundry and ended up buying a new ('07) Dodge Ram 3500 four door dually. It has the Cummings 6.9 diesel engine. The truck is rated to haul 13,800 and we told the salesman that our 5th wheel weighs 16,000. He said that the official numbers are very conservative and that we need not worry. After speaking with a salesman friend from my high school days (and I won't admit to how many years ago) he said it was borderline. This truck has the towing package and a six speed automatic. We drive perhaps 15,000 miles a year and being in the west, some of this will be mountain driving. Any ideas about this? We might be able to renege on the deal if we can prove that this is an unwise or dangerous. We bought this from a Washington state dealer. Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Tom

Some salesmen will say anything to get you to buy a vehicle. It's not fair but unless it's in writing, he never said it. If you get in a wreck while overloaded it may lead to complicated leagal issues. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if that ever happened. Most (if not all) states give you three days to return a vehicle. If it's already past three days then you may want to start shopping around for a lighter camper.

Reply to
Nosey

I think your numbers are wrong. My neighbor has one of and he tows at least twice that. Well actually around

30K or 32K is what is stamped on his door along side his DOT number.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, he doesn't need to worry, because it is your problem now, not his. Unless you were smart enough to get it in writing, which I know you didn't (because even car salesmen are smarter than to do that! )

Borderline doesn't cover it. Way over the line doesn. Say it is rated at 13,800 and you two 14,100. That's borderline. Towing 16,000 is not the way to go.

Or a bigger truck!

Read Nosey's reply carefully. There are gems of insight there.

Reply to
PeterD

A reference to start with would be:

which has a useful thread on the topic. However, that 30K figure is suspect IMHO. I'll have to look at my truck, but I doubt it is anywhere near that number.

Reply to
PeterD

Go here:

download the PDF for 2007 and look up your truck..T. L. is the most reliable info I've ever found.. Remember that the "rule of thumb" for safety is the max towing weight should be just that, maximum, and that your RV should be at least 10% under that..

Also, the max weight is the trailer, contents, (including water, propane, etc.) and whatever cargo is in the truck..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis