HELP!!Mod to 2001 1500 Quadcab for towing 22' motorboat

Page 5 of 7

done
If you do not think that it is different, then why did you bring up the torque converter at all? Sounds like backspin to me.

you
The whole point of this argument has to do with gear reduction Gary, please follow along.

last
lower-rpm/higher-torque
WTF does this even mean Gary. Like I said MULTIPLE TIMES, the transmission does this as well in its lower gears so what exactly is your point here?

torque'
Sorry Gary, but you really are not very good at spin. Don't try to change the subject to some garbage about gear ratios. You did say that the TC converts from a high RPM to a lower RPM and increases torque. A transmission does the same thing, just by a different method. Maybe he meant to say "has to PROVIDE less torque" which is correct.

thus
torque,
Where exactly are you trying to spin this? You keep talking about the TC but who cares? What exactly does the TC have to do with the topic at hand? Do you actually know where the TC gets its name from? Perhaps you should go and look it up.

LOL, I would do a little studying yourself there dude.

the
keep
please
no, MY original had to do with the transmission 'producing torque'
please go back and re-read my first response

'products',
precise
transmission
that a transmission or torque converter cannot, on its own, 'produce torque'
power (torque at a given spped) is produced in the ENGINE
the converter changes the speed/torque ratio
the converter cannot 'produce torque', only change the relationship between input speed/torque and output speed/torque
no free lunch, in other words

have
what part of 'gear ratio', in relation to first, second, third, and fourth gear (plus reverse) is so hard for you to understand ????

fer
hand?
go
perhaps you should look up 'produce' as in 'create' or 'generate'
or maybe you'll hand me more ammo, stick the gun on your foot, and invite me to pull the trigger for you

by
I know what your original response was and that is why I called you an ass since you are arguing nothing more than semantics and is now becomming circular as well

reason
ramp
converter
torque'
Ok, here is a quick question for you. If more torque is comming out of a unit than is going in, is it not producing torque and if not, what exactly is it doing? Now before you try to use the term converting, remember that an engine does nothing more than convert liquid fuel into heat and mechanical energy so that argument will not hold up.

True.
Yes it does, just like the transmission but what does this have to do with anything?

between
But by doing that you ARE producing more torque at the cost of RPM so by your own definition, a trasnsmission can produce torque or at least produce MORE torque. Remember Gary, produce and create are two different words.

There is never a free lunch. At least on this we can agree.

change
Now you have spun so fast that you have lost me. What exactly are you asking me?

TC
should
Create is only one definition of produce. Another definition happens to be "To bring forth" http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/produce which is exactly what the TC and transmission do as far as torque goes.

me
The only ammo you are getting is being generated in your own mind. First you say that a transmission cannot produce torque and then proceed to prove that it can, LOL.

Does Tbone ever shut up and just let things go when he is wrong? Stay tuned....
--
Max

nope
are you enjoying this as much as I am ?

from
the
except
ass
because
exactly
that
with
you
TC
transmission,
the
the
invite
First
Sure am.
--
Max

Hey, I love a good fight as much as the next guy, but please, for the sake of all us spectators (even those of us that occasionally throw an empty beer into the ring :), can you guys PLEASE start trimming your posts? Do you know how annoying it is to scroll down through quote after quote after quote, just to get to the, "I know you are, but what am I?" meat of the post?
C'mon... think about the fans a little bit, will ya?

Can we kill the top poasters furst?
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!

Then take aim at people that can't spell... <G>
Denny

It's called fishing, a little methalene blue will kill that nasty hook mark in the corner of your mouth.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
oh, look

A net nanny would kill. I would though.
--
MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
NO!!!!! :-)

"MoParMaN" < snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
Dayam....Oops

Dayam....That's better!!
--
"TBone3" wrote:
> > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > Only in your tiny immature mind. Now > please explain exactly how the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > torque > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > increase from the TC is any different than > the torque increase from > > the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > transmission in its lower gears. Now I > don't want to hear how it is > &nbsp;> > done > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > differently, just how the result is in any > way different and try to > > keep > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > language on an adult level for a change. > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > RED HERRING ALERT !!!!! WHOOP_WHOOP_WHOOP > !!!!!!!!! > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > where, exactly, did I say it was different ? > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > If you do not think that it is different, then why > did you bring up the > &nbsp;> > torque converter at all? Sounds like backspin to > me. > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > for that matter, where was the gear > reduction ever mentioned, except > by > &nbsp;> > you > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > ? > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > The whole point of this argument has to do with gear > reduction Gary, > > please > &nbsp;> > follow along. > > > > no, MY original had to do with the transmission 'producing > torque' > > > > please go back and re-read my first response > > I know what your original response was and that is why I > called you an ass > since you are arguing nothing more than semantics and is now > becomming > circular as well > > > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > my entire reply was based on the erroneous > statement, specifically the > &nbsp;> > last > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > 11 words of the following from 'Snoman': > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > "&gt; We are actually in partial agreement > here but this is also the > reason > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > why much earlier in the thread I stated to > regear the truck because > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > though the towed mileage may be short to > ramp, the stress of the > ramp > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > can be high and a tranny can realy heat up > FAST in a heavy stall and > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > deeper gears do two things, the tranny has > to product less torque to > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > move the load " > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > he said that the 'tranny' 'produces' torque > (actually he said > > 'products', > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > but we'll let that pass since I've already > told him he needs to be > > precise > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > in his wording) > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > I said no, the transmission does not > 'produce' torque, but the > converter > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > changes high-rpm/low torque output of the > engine to > &nbsp;> > lower-rpm/higher-torque > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > output > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > WTF does this even mean Gary. Like I said MULTIPLE > TIMES, the > > transmission > &nbsp;> > does this as well in its lower gears so what exactly > is your point here? > > > > that a transmission or torque converter cannot, on its own, > 'produce > torque' > > Ok, here is a quick question for you. If more torque is > comming out of a > unit than is going in, is it not producing torque and if not, > what exactly > is it doing? Now before you try to use the term converting, > remember that > an engine does nothing more than convert liquid fuel into heat > and > mechanical energy so that argument will not hold up. > > > > > power (torque at a given spped) is produced in the ENGINE > > True. > > > > > the converter changes the speed/torque ratio > > Yes it does, just like the transmission but what does this > have to do with > anything? > > > > > the converter cannot 'produce torque', only change the > relationship > between > > input speed/torque and output speed/torque > > But by doing that you ARE producing more torque at the cost of > RPM so by > your own definition, a trasnsmission can produce torque or at > least produce > MORE torque. Remember Gary, produce and create are two > different words. > > > > > no free lunch, in other words > > There is never a free lunch. At least on this we can agree. > > > > > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > NOWHERE did he or I mention gear ratio, he > said (once more since you > > have > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > problems comprehending things) that 'the > tranny has to produce less > &nbsp;> > torque' > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Sorry Gary, but you really are not very good at > spin. Don't try to > change > &nbsp;> > the subject to some garbage about gear ratios. You > did say that the TC > &nbsp;> > converts from a high RPM to a lower RPM and > increases torque. A > &nbsp;> > transmission does the same thing, just by a > different method. Maybe he > &nbsp;> > meant to say "has to PROVIDE less torque" which is > correct. > > > > what part of 'gear ratio', in relation to first, second, > third, and fourth > > gear (plus reverse) is so hard for you to understand ???? > > Now you have spun so fast that you have lost me. What exactly > are you > asking me? > > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > the 'tranny' (God, will you folks grow up > and call it a transmission, > > fer > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > Chrissakes !) cannot 'produce > torque'.......it can convert it, in the > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > converter, or it can change ratios between > input and output shafts and > &nbsp;> > thus > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > convert hi-R/lo-T input to low-R/hi-T > output, but it CANNOT PRODUCE > &nbsp;> > torque, > &nbsp;&nbsp;> > > only a power source such as the engine can > do that > &nbsp;> > > &nbsp;> > Where exactly are you trying to spin this? You keep > talking about the > TC > &nbsp;> > but who cares? What exactly does the TC have to do > with the topic at > > hand? > &nbsp;> > Do you actually know where the TC gets its name > from? Perhaps you > should > > go > &nbsp;> > and look it up. > > > > perhaps you should look up 'produce' as in 'create' or > 'generate' > > Create is only one definition of produce. Another definition > happens to be > "To bring forth" > http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/produce > which is exactly what the TC and transmission do as far as > torque goes. > > > > > or maybe you'll hand me more ammo, stick the gun on your > foot, and invite > me > > to pull the trigger for you > > The only ammo you are getting is being generated in your own > mind. First > you say that a transmission cannot produce torque and then > proceed to prove > that it can, LOL. > > -- > If at first you don't succeed, you're not cut out for > skydiving
I just read a post in another place were a guy had a Dodge 1500 Crew Cab with a 4.7 and stock 3.55 gears and it was so gutless towing at speed he traded it off for one with a 360 in it. As this thread started, no way I would rely on a 4.7 powered Crew Cab to pull my 22 foot boat with stock gears in it. It could be very embarassing at times. Family sedans in the 60s and early 70s had more tow power than that setup does and it is suposed to be a truck too. .

I agree that his truck may not be up to the job and if not, then he should either trade it for one that is or just get another one specifically for this type of work. Making changes like you suggested will hurt the mileage for little benefit considering the small amount of towing he intends to do.

"TBone" wrote:

It should actually increase it because the engine is laboring now with tha truck especailly in OD and even is well below its peak VE speed and at its VE RPM (torque peak) it uses the least amount of fuel per HP hour produced.
If this were true, why didn't the factory install these gears as stock? A mileage and power improvement at NO cost... Like I said, there is no free lunch and the vehicle is already optimized for normal driving conditions. Dropping the gearing that low will maximize it for heavy towing at the cost of mileage and increased engine wear.

"SnoMan" < snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message

You have alot of nerve trying to introduce fact, into this argument/disagreement :)
PS - Is it OK to call it a "Trans"?
--
Regards,
Slick Willy

yeah, well, it's a dirty, thanklessjob, but somebody's gotta do it

if you wish (sigh)