Help Please

Hello to All,

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Short Bed, I was wondering if it would be possible to pull a 1974 Mobile Home, which is 50 feet long and 15 feet wide,

30 feet and turn it 90 degrees? My Husbands boss says that it will do it but I want to make sure before attempting it. Any advance would be helpful.

Thanks, Gina

Reply to
Gina Fierro

Since I don't have all of the information, I am left to assume the following:

The mobile home of which you speak is not an RV, but a trailer home? Likely weighing 15000+ lbs.

Your truck ... 318 cid? Rated to pull 6000 lbs. at best.

Not something I would attempt. *If* you succeed ... you may not have a tranny left.

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

It might do it but you risk serious damage to the transmission and drive train. If the Dodge is a 4x4 and you're on dirt/gravel selecting 4-lo might help the engine stain. I'd worry more about the transmission, u-joints and differential more though.

Reply to
miles

If you're talking fairly level ground, and you're careful, I don't see a problem. Remember, the towing ratings for these vehicles are for highway speeds, and have more to do with stopping the load than moving it. You're talking about making very slow movements within a yard. Use the lowest gear available to you, and take it nice and slow. Make sure the tires in both the trailer and the truck are inflated to their maximum pressure. Move anything you can inside the home as far to the rear as possible - this will lighten the tongue weight. Since you're not going very far, the lighter the tongue, the better (forget the 10-15% rule here).

If your truck is a 4x4, pull the vacuum lines off the front axle CAD and plug them with golf tees, then engage the transfer case in low range. This will give you 2WD low, which will let you make tight maneuvers and still get the extra gear reduction.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Unless the weight is needed for traction. Shifting ALL the weight to the rear /might/ make the tongue pull the rear of the truck up.

Reply to
Nosey

I appreciate the inout from all. I would rather not use my truck to pull the mobile home (Trailer).

G>> I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Short Bed, I was wondering if it would >> be

Reply to
Gina Fierro

You'll likely do serious damage your truck if you try to pull something as large as a mobile home.

(Was that the answer you wanted?)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That was exactly the answer I wanted to hear (read). Ha, Ha, Ha.

Thanks, Gina

Reply to
Gina Fierro

Something about driving a truck or van. Folks some how find things they want moved, or hauled around. And figure you'll be happy to help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon