Help With '87 Dakota Starter

Okay, it's hot, my dearly beloved (not so much just now...) tore down the shop so there's no place to work on this thing on level ground, and I'm short...all of which is relevant *because*...
I can't reach the damn thing! From the bottom I can't get at it without three extra joints in my arm (no safe way to jack it up, anyway). From the top I just can't reach, period. Obviously this is looking like a major project, and I don't want to spend two hours dicking around with it only to find out that it's absolutely impossible to get at from above/below and has to be attacked all over from the other way. So...anybody done one of these lately, and if so, any secret to getting at the damn thing?
I've done three S-10 Blazer starters in the last four years, and I can't believe I cussed about them...they're a piece of cake when compared to this beast...;>(
Cricket
jack up the front wheels, remove the two big bolts that hold the steering rack to the frame
then you can scoot the rack to one side so the steering shaft is out of the way
attack from top

the
has
these
this

the lower end of the shaft goes into the 'rack and pinion' assembly
there are two large bolts holding it to the front of the cross-member
with the bolts out, the entire rack and steering shaft can be shifted towards the left wheel, giving you room to work

the
without
only
can't
Hasn't got r & p...found the instructions for steering shaft removal in an old Hayne's manual...drift pin...yuck...
Cricket