Help with metal popping noise

1998 quad cab 4x4 half ton 5.9 ltr.128560 miles Hello have had this issue for some months now,have had it gone over by several machanics,still no one can find the problem. When coming to a stop, at the point of stopping,at rest , I get a loud metal popping noise,and it is quite loud, when releasing the brakes it does it again taking off. That is only when it does it and no noise going down the road at all, but somtimes I think I can feel it in the pedal, and sometimes not, but in the rain,it wont do this. Have had it in the air, wheels off can turn the rotor back and forth a little,and can get it to do it but not as bad. Question is, is it the rotors? calipers? the ujoints in the shaft from transfer case to front diff? Everything else checks out fine, and has all new ball joints,and those was rechecked,and the wheel bearings were checked and those are ok.Even went to my trans shop,and the trans and transfer case is fine, and they couldnt figure it out either, and they just work on Dodge products. No play in the wheel,alignment is ok,no wondering. Just perplexed with this.I know I have rotors,pads coming up, but it was doing this way before. Any ideas, suggestions?? Thank you for your time. Elden snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
Reply to
el jr64

Does that model use anti-rattle clips on the front disc brake pads? '95 Ford has those and if they aren't put on the pads at pad change time, you'll get a metallic pop just like you describe. That was the problem with my Ford. Was annoying but didn't seem to cause any real problems. Te pads wore normally and no abnormal wear at the caliper or disc. Of course at the next brake change I made sure they were installed though. It does get annoying. Maybe check it out?

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

Does that model use anti-rattle clips on the front disc brake pads? '95 Ford has those and if they aren't put on the pads at pad change time, you'll get a metallic pop just like you describe. That was the problem with my Ford. Was annoying but didn't seem to cause any real problems. Te pads wore normally and no abnormal wear at the caliper or disc. Of course at the next brake change I made sure they were installed though. It does get annoying. Maybe check it out?

Reply to
zimpzampzormp

Shock or shock bushing?

Reply to
Roy

Can you feel this in the steering wheel??? The '95-'99 Rams were noted for the steering coupling to stick. When the body flexed thru the mounts on the frame, the sticking coupling would make a noticable pop that you could feel in the body, pedals and the steering wheel.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I think that might be what my truck (2001 Dakota) does as well. Mech greased the steering bushings at some point, but it still creaks or pops when the weather's warm. I'd about decided it was frame flexing, didn't seem to be doing any harm, or getting any worse.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I had a chevy truck that might of done what you described. Have someone in the truck while you look at the rear end. Have them in drive with foot on brake give it some gas and see if the rear axle is torquing spring U clamps. It happened on my chevy and the few people all said it was in the tranny. Well one day I decided to have it looked at one more time and when we drove around the corner I was in the driver seat and the tech told me do give it some gas and sure then hell he noticed the rear end torquing and the drive shaft would hang up at the ujoint in the rear end. When I took my foot of the brake it would like pop this would also happen when I came to stop. On a 98 Durango after I got it back from the body shop my daughter's accident I was getting a pop noise starting and stopping. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the steering shaft which i'm sure was from the front end accident. Check both these and it might be one of them. Good Luck

Reply to
Bob

[...]

user