help with my dodge please

And in fact it won't. Here is a short list of what the PCM has no clue about: Fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel injector spray pattern, clogged fuel injectors, failing fuel injectors (it knows if it fired the injector, but it doesn't know if that event went well), fuel pressure, fuel leaks, grade of fuel, if water is in the fuel (the diesels know this, but not the gassers, AFAIK) or if the fuel is even capable of igniting, as in, varnished or aged.

Um, yeah, except the problem YOU mentioned first was a failed fuel pump, which is not monitored. This is directly related to fuel PRESSURE, which is not monitored. Further, if it was enough to get the truck going, but not enough to properly spray from the injector, there would be an atomization problem, which is not monitored.

Its absolutely correct. The only thing the PCM knows about the fuel is injector timing and A/F mixture via sensors.

Nah, I just jump on you for crap where you are wrong.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Lean run condition

, fuel injector spray pattern,

Misfire codes

fuel pressure, fuel leaks,

These are really just repeates from above

grade of fuel,

Is not a delivery problem

if water is in the fuel (the diesels know this, but

Again, non of this is a delivery problem

It depends on what failed. A complete failure will not be detected but a partial failure (very low pressure) would show up as lean run and misfire codes.

Did you forget about misfire codes. It would also probably result in rich run codes that would be false but would indicate a fuel delivery problem.

And fuel delivery problems severe enough to cause running difficulties are doing it why Max, because it will cause the very mixture problems you just said so I guess that they are monitored indirectly after all.

If that were only true but we both know better than that. Have a Merry Christmas Max.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
Andy

Every once in awhile I break the promise that I made to myself and hit that damned "reply group" button. One of these days I'll learn.............

Denny

Reply to
Denny

A lean run condition doesn't necessarily point to the fuel system. On the chance that it does, it does not pinpoint a cause. As such, a lean run condition only points to a lean run condition, not a cause. From there, it takes a trouble shooting procedure to determine cause.

Misfire codes indicate that a cylinder did not fire correctly. It does not indicate why the cylinder fired incorrectly.

Unfortunately, they are not. They are problems unto themselves, not just symptoms.

Sure it is. If for some reason the fuel vaporizes in the line, (rare, I know) the PCM would never know it.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Fuel varnish can clog injectors, stall pumps, and doesn't burn very well, if at all. If it doesn't burn, its not fuel, thus fuel isn't being delivered. Same is true of water in the fuel.

No, it depends on what you said failed, which was the fuel pump. And what you said failed, is NOT monitored by the PCM.

While true, both codes could indicate other problems. That is why its essential to get all info, since the fuel system will not show any dedicated codes.

See above. There are no dedicated fuel delivery codes.

OOPS, what did you say? INDIRECTLY? Right. INDIRECTLY, you could use the codes to find a problem, and THEN use deductive reasoning (troubleshooting) to INDIRECTLY find the problem in the fuel system. But there are no dedicated codes, nor any sensors monitoring, the fuel delivery system.

Who is we? I'd love to see a list of people you think agree with you consistantly.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I don't need to make a list your claim is wrong from point one, you claim a finite phase space is greater than an infinite phase space. You actually proved my point by trying to narrow down the parameters of your original statement because even you know it is wrong. You went from saying by proxy of negative association that; the only fuel problem that is not monitored by the PCM is fuel pressure directly to the PCM catches all fuel delivery problems unless they are pressure related. Those are two very different claims. So why should I respond with any sort of list when you can't even make up your mind about what you Mr. high and mightly are right about?

And just so you leave with some extra knowledge, just about any soluble or distillate you can imagine can do this and not be detected by the PCM.

Reply to
T.Diesel