Hitch wt. and towing capacities

Page 1 of 2  
I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel (quad cab, short bed, 4x4, 373 gears, auto trans), I am looking to purchase a 5th wheel having a hitch wt. of 2,120 LBS and GVWR of 11,400 lbs. Not knowing hitch wt or towing
capacities very well, the question is; do I have enough truck or am I approaching the limit, if I do have enough truck, do I need to do anything to it?
Thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:20:55 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@legionconstruction.com wrote:

You have enough truck engine, tranny, axle and frame wise. You might need to ad a leaf to rear if it does not ride right with load (too soft) and maybe upgrade tires if they are not already 265R16 "E" range tires. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well, 17" wheels on the '03s and up, but otherwise - yes. I might go with an airbag install vs. adding an extra leaf, though... keeps the no-load ride quality the same as stock (won't call it smooth, but no need to help the fillings fall out quicker, either)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 14:38:07 -0400, "Tom Lawrence"

AIr bags can work but a extra leaf does two things. One is increase load capacity and the second (which a air bag does not do) it help limit torque wrap up of springs from high wheel torque loads. Strange about tires though because I remember test driving some 05 CTD with a friend when he was considering buy one. It had 265R16 E's on it because I remember looking at them. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:21:45 -0400, SnoMan wrote:

nope the 05 comes with 17" wheels like what Tom said. if you dont believe me, well tough. i own a 05 and i KNOW what's on my truck.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

It was a dualie so that may explain it ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ya know Sno, though it may not seem like an important fact or bit of info to you, maybe, just maybe, if you started telling the complete story in your posts, instead of the half assed ones like you tend to, it would prevent issues just like this. Food for thought...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Nothing have a$$'ed about it. GM trucks used the same rim diameter on SRW and DRW then so one would "assume" the Dodge would have done likewise that year. I drive a few 08 CTD last week and they had 17's. I was also surprized at the amount of boost on new 6.7 engine. Both trucks showed aprroximately 23 PSI of boost. I plan to check GM and Ford models to see how they compare. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:39:23 -0400, SnoMan wrote:

uh 23 thats it? and when did dodge start putting a boost gauge on?
btw srw and drw do have the same rim diamater 17" or did you miss that?
i suggest you look at the dodge site and view what wheel options there are.
--
Chris
05 CTD
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

You do not need one if you have the right technology to monitor/record engine data via OBD2 port which all vehicles have had since 97 (some a year sooner) BTW, it reports the Absolute Manifold Pressure (atmosheric plus boost) which the ECM use for fuel mixture control, in that regard its "AMP" is a little over 37 PSI.

I did not miss a thin, I was talking about what I say mof a 05 model dulie, not a 08 one

Honestly I place little value in "wheel options" on any brands web site. I look at trucks as they sit on lots ans as they are equipped in various trim/option levels. Myself, I have never had any interest at all in fancy rim options on my trucks, a plain steel wheels is fine for me. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So, you are saying that a dealer not only let you test drive a new truck, but let you hook up an OBD2 scanner to it while you were driving it? Highly unlikely!

Well, maybe besides learning how to slow down a bit when you type, so you are missing letters (unless the cryptic typing is purposeful) you should learn how to pay more attention to things when you are "test driving them"
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Right since you say so huh? You can believe what you want because you are the troll here I cannot remember the last time they came with me on a test drive.( one advantage I guess of not looking like a or being troll) Been scanning them for a couple of years now when new models come out. IT is REALLY easy to do if you know what you are doing. I have two methods I use, one a a complete small module to plugs in a record up to 5 data channels of my selection (easily fits in your shirt pocket and I started using this method about 6 months ago) and a second method the ready data channel of choice live is data or graphic form. (this one will fit in a coat pocket and has a PC interface on it as well and I have been using it for a few years now) You would know how to do this easily too if you were not just some troll looking to cause trouble. BTW, I also do sound level readings in db's in cab and outside when the sprit moves me. (I have two different meters too one that fits in pocket and one a bit bigger but is not a "cheapy" either as it is very accurate, calibratable and programable. Been a bit under the weather here but I plan to shake down and scan the new 6.4 Ford PS soon and then a Dmax and see how they compare. BTW, I drove and scanned a new 08 GM 2500HD with new 6 speed 6L80 and 353 HP 6.0. That truck was a BIG disapointment! (and I am/was a GM man mostly) Tranny calibration and operation and axle ratio combo was badily matched. I would not own one if you gave it to me if they are all like that (I would sell it) Truck felt under powered most of the time because effective overall gearing in 5th and 6th was too tall for axle ratio and engine. 6th was really bad and a bit of a joke. (a bad one at that). You have to drive it a bit to realize what a cluster fart the engine/tranny/axle ratio combo is. Sad part is GM used to make some very fine automatic trannies

----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
punkin:

I am sure if you were more adapt at understood what was being asked for, punkin.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Still nothing but a troll.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Roy you are the troll here and when thing exceed your grasp (which they do a lot) you attack them rather than admitt you are wrong because "Trolls" like you are never wrong! People that can and do use techology or have some real knowledge must really scare you. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Would this be the same technology that you used to tell a poster to trade in a perfectly good truck because of a bad sensor? Would this be the same technology that you used to help the posted in the Chevy group with the brake problem, which you were proven wrong over?
If trolls are never wrong, how is it that you are not a troll? How many times have you been proven wrong because of your technical skills? When is the last time that you admitted you were wrong?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are truly a sad fuck! Learn how to follow a thread will ya.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wake up Roy. How would anyone but Beryl know what kind of fuck Snopuddle is?
FMB (North Mexico)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FMB wrote:

He's been awake. That's his stupor we're witnessing.

Dreaming about me now, fruity boy?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Good point.
Roy

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.