hoisting 400 cc engine out of 4x4 ram on 32" tires in 30 inches of snow

Page 1 of 2
Hi all you artful dodgers with creative ideas!
Do you have any suggestions you think might help -- willing to rent the available equipment of course -- sold the 400 cc but guy prefers it be
pulled out and delivered and is willing to pay for it
I had been thinking of an engine hoist but it would have to stand on 3/4 plywood on top of some cement blocks -- all possible and supplies on hand except the hoist.
Any other ideas?
Also, likely to snowblow 100 feet up to the truck and drive in with 4x4 so whatever you can suggest is appreciated.
thanks in advance
rachel
Rachel Easson wrote:

Couldn't you just ask someone to help lift it? They are a bit akward but they aren't too heavy. I lifted a few 400/440 cc Kawasaki engines by myself without any struggle. It wasn't in any snow but that shouldn't make it any heavier.
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

I'd dig out all the snow and then lay the plywood down, just to keep it from sinking. Plywood on blocks would be too unstable and it would probably not hold all that weight: 600 lb / 272.1554 Kg. plus the weight of the hoist.
A auto reclaimer yard back in Indiana used a cut down engine hoist ( cherry picker) bolted to the frame of a pickup as his way of pulling engines in the yard. Now they have those in-bed hoists that lift up to 1/2 ton.
Work safe, Rach, ya gotta good kid and friends that needs ya.
Budd
Budd Cochran wrote:

time of year...
Just think of your safety, milady, I'd hate to lose a friend.
--
Budd Cochran

"Rachel Easson" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
Ken,
I think there's a "translation" error from Canadian English to US English . . .In an email, Rach was talking about a 400 _CU.IN._ engine. . . .about 600 lbs.
Sorry, Rach. Just trying to act as a translator fer ya'll. 400 cu in 6554.826 C.C.
--
Budd Cochran

"Nosey" < snipped-for-privacy@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
Budd Cochran wrote:

And no, we're in loggin' country up here but not quite that strong but I had been thinking Ken was some burrrrly guy! rach
Rachel Easson wrote:

When you said it was a 400 cc engine I believed you. I thought you had a motorcycle engine in the bed of a truck and couldn't get it out. It makes sense to me now.
--
Ken

Nosey wrote:

Of course <grn> it was funny though. I don't expect you to read my mind. rach
First, you mean a 400 CID, not a motorcycle, but a big block, right?
Second, ditch the tires and drop the front axle on some 6x6 lumber, and the truck suddenly becomes normal height.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

how to write it

shed -- reef like hell and drop the front axle on some 6x6 lumber,
forest logs nearby, sawn off on top and blocked, yep can do and the

thank you Max, and Budd -- should work this way
rach
Max Dodge wrote:

log, shaving flat with chain saw around where wheels go, got good hydraulic jacks of course, and if I'm warming up the bolts, I can burn off the snow too
-- got this idea while taking my shit (do my best thinking on the porcelain throne and while driving <vbgrn>) -- my Newfie friends have told me they clear a path in the snow to the road by lighting fire to gasoline
rach
Rachel Easson wrote:

yup, finally sunk in -- yes, your idea <LOL!>
had 3 beer (helped the dump but not the brain <vbmfgrn> )
rach
thanks Max!
You could take it to Budds old garage and hoist it from the rafters. You have to have been around here for a while to understand this one.
beekeep

LOL!!!
"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message
Can't do that, Greg. I drove by the place when I went with my brother to Canon City CO to get his fishing boat and it looks like, thru the window in the garage door, that he might have tried it, and the rafter fell down.
The bad part is, the car in the driveway was a Subaru . . . . . . . and a riding mower with the engine halfway off . . .
--
Budd Cochran

"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message
Maybe she will have to use the two story outhouse then!
beekeep

darnit, Greg . . now I'll have to send her a picture of it . . .and a thirty five page explanation.
--
Budd Cochran

"beekeep" < snipped-for-privacy@radix.net> wrote in message
1) obtain log chain