Home heating oil

Can I use regular home heating oil in my diesel? Aside from the obvioul tax issues is there really any reason I can't get away with this? $2.39 vs. $3.xx
plus makes this pretty tempting.
snipped-for-privacy@junk.mail.net wrote:

Depends on how hungry your state is for pothole tax money...they certainly know how tempting it is and how to check for dye.
Rick
Yofuri wrote:

Yes you do not want to get cuaght because it will cost you many, many times more than the money you saved. Heating oil glows under a black light.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Just beware some home oil suppliers will contact you if your consumption jumps, better have a good reason when the call :-) ron
Luckily, the constitution protects you. Even the DOT is not above the constitution. They can not seize and search your property regardless of where it is. Unless of course, they have probable cause, like someone asking ....."Can I use regular home heating oil in my diesel? Aside from the obvioul tax issues is there really any reason I can't get away with this?"..... on a public newsgroup. But then what are chances they might just happen to read it? It isn't like they would use google to do a search of key words tax cheats might use.
John wrote:

If someone is that hard up to drive their oil burner that they want to try to cheat with heating oil, they need to sell it and get a gas truck. You supplier can get in trouble too if he sells you heating oil that is used as motor fuel. It is VERY easy to determine is heating oil is in tank, it takes but a few seconds.
----------------- www.thesnoman.com

Your chances of getting caught are in direct proportion to the number of people who know (or suspect) that you're doing it. It's been said that two people can keep a secret as long as one of them is dead. This is the exact same way many satellite and cable TV pirates got caught. I certainly wouldn't mention it to anyone, not even your spouse.
Your home heating oil supplier -WILL- notice the markedly increased consumption. Suddenly 2 people know. See above about keeping a secret.
IMO the risk and penalty for getting caught far outweighs any possible benefit. The crime is called motorfuel tax fraud and it's serious.
Well, I called DOT and EPA. LOL
writes:

of
away
might
Actually they can just pull over any commercial registered vehicle for a safety inspection when they want. Those inspections are part of their job. IF your caught with illegal fuel they can seize the vehicle. It is a criminal violation of the law. Ask Al Capone about what tax evasion can get you.
-
Steve W. wrote:

In Ontario, at certain times of the year, ie hunting season, they stop everyone,gas, diesel, private, commercial, doesn't matter. First, the OPP and the Revenue guys physically check your fuel, farmers have access to cheaper marked gas (not for road use). They nailed the guy in front of me for using furnace oil. Then the wildlife folks take pokes at the deer or moose you shot, tags, where, etc. etc. It can get expensive if you are caught. OPP and the Rev guys are bad enough, but the wildlife dudes take everything.
Just put in a hiddentank, like under a tool box or something. Put in a hidden switch and keep normal fuel in the truck tank, and home fuel in the hidden tank. Put some of your own die in it and call it your bio diesel or other home maded fuel. Your entitled to something like 600 gallons of home made per year without issue.. This way, the main tank is not contaminated. IF they find the aux tank, their is some PLASABLE denial. Since your aux tank will be used mainly around town. Do some research on dyes and make sure that the color you select might have some...UV to it..and...let me know :)
Us in the Southern States, don't have home oil..so we have to work on making our own bio...
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:16:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@junk.mail.net wrote:

I don't know the price of K-1 but it will work if you add a qt of oil to every 5 gallons.
beekeep
Isn't K-1 kerosene??

yup.