Honda mower service

Hi I decided to service my mower myself this year, oil is easy to change but having a heck of time gettin the blade off to sharpen. Cant find my manual. Is there a trick to getting the blade off. I've got a Honda Harmony HRT, about 8 years old. Original blade. I was wondering if maybe after 8 years I should get buy a new blade? Its one of those mulching blades. Also, when it runs it seems to rev up and down after a few minutes, does anyone know whats causing this?

any help greatly appreciated

Reply to
John H.

LOL sorry wrong group

Reply to
John H.

Is it the wrong group? ;^D

The mounting bolts for the blades on most mowers gets hard to remove because of corrosion. Use WD-40 on the threads every time you pull it off to sharpen it and it should be sharpened whenever you see any tearing of the grass instead of a clean cut. This will reduce brown spotting.

Personally, I dislike mulching blades as they are a bear to sharpen because of all the twists and turns that, supposedly, mulches the clippings. If you decide to buy one, be ready to pay more for sharpening or buy a small angle grinder and a blade balancing cone so you can do it yourself. Also, your bagging attachment will not work as well or not at all. . . .no airflow from the blade.

Back when I was a teen, I just mowed in an inward spiral pattern that threw the clippings onto uncut grass then the standard blade recut them over and over. By the time I got to the middle, there was but a handful left to scatter on the new mown lawn.

The surging could be moisture in the fuel, dust and dirt in air cleaner or just needing a good tune up. If it's moisture, a tablespoon of HEET will clear it up. Don't let it go too long or it can damage the carburetor.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

guess I had the right group afterall, thanks Budd

Reply to
John H.

LOL I don't know about the right group for mower help, but you did find an old mower mechanic anyway. VBG

Glad to help.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Hey, Dodge people are always helpful!!! :-) Lorne

Reply to
Lorne

Also, IIRC, the bolt that holds the blade in place on my mower is

*left-hand* thread. You might want to clarify whether or not yours is/are too. If the bolt(s) is/are just too darned tight, you might want to use a 6-point wrench or socket on the bolt(s). Bryan
Reply to
Bryan

If you look down at the top of the engine, in the US anyway, and the flywheel rotates clockwise, then it's a right hand thread bolt.

Budd

Bryan wrote:

Reply to
Budd Cochran